Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shot The CVA StagHorn Yesterday

Old 08-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Shot The CVA StagHorn Yesterday

Gun: CVA .50 Staghorn.
Scope: Weaver Grand Slam 3X10 set on 4X.
Powder: 100 grains of Goex Pinnacle 3F.
Primer: Winchester shotgun.
Bullet/Sabot: 240 grain .430 XTP/crush rib.
Distance: 75 meters.

This gun was loaded for several months. Aiming point was the center of the bullseye. The bore was not swabbed between shots.
First bullet hit about 1" higher than point of aim. Next one went 3/4" inch to the right. Third was a flyer.

Just for kicks i decided to try a 370 grain Maxi Ball using 80 grains of Pinnacle 3F. Never used Pinnacle 3F with the Maxi Ball in this gun before. It shoots Maxi Balls really well using Pyrodex RS but Pinnacle 2F throws them all over.

First Maxi Ball went into the center of the bullseye. Next one went 1 1/4" low. Third one went way low. Methinks swabbing between shots would have made a difference here.

Last time i cleaned this gun it was swabbed with a patch wetted with Hoppes followed by by dry patches: it was not oiled. The fouling yesterday was very light. No sign of a crud ring.

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/4201/dsc01362q.jpg
Old 08-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Them Staghorn Rifles are good shooters. Mine might have only a 4x scope but it lays them in there just fine. That is some good shooting. I never shot Pinnacle 3f out of my rifles. But have shot a little APP 3f. My CVA usually likes Pyrodex RS or black powder.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dug an old Staghorn I'd traded for several years ago (but never shot) out of the cabinet a few days ago and put a Leupold 4X scope on it. It has #11 ignition (made in 2000 if I'm reading the serial # correctly, ends with -00). Used fffg Goex BP (75gr) and was impressed with some of the groups I got. It seems to like 250 - 300 gr 45 cal bullets in sabots.
I plan to let my son deer hunt with it this year.

My opinion is that it's a very good rifle, especially for the price. Mine seems to have a very good trigger in it, too.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

My gun was made in 2000 also. A friend talked me into muzzleloader hunting in 1999 and loaned me a gun. Liked it so much i bought that StagHorn next year. They do have good triggers. Mine breaks at about 3.5 pounds.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Banned

I'd try some lubed wads
Old 08-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Gee Whiz... the last numbers on my rifle are 03. I am pretty sure that indicates the year it is made. It was the very first inline rifle that was not mailed back to the store. And I purchased the rifle new from Natchez.Com I think it was. Maybe Bass Pro Shop. So I have the newest rifle.. Also the trigger on mine is exceptional. And I know I gave $89.00 for it. Only the best scope for mine.. a $19.00 Simmons 4x32 Pro Sport Shotgun scope. But that this is sure a good shooter.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Brings back memories of my first stag horn, $89 from wal-mart. It was a good shooter also. I had a 3X9 on it and shot the 240gr .430 XTP's with 110grs of pyro. It shot right there with with buddies TC Oncore.
Then when they came out with the stag horn mag that would handle 150gr's I had to have one, this one came with fiber optic sights and would take 209 Primers insted of the Caps, it was a good shooter too.
Yes they did like a swab between shots, if I did'nt I'd have a really hard time getting the 3'd and 4th sabot down the barrel. The came the Kodiak and the Kodiak Pro then the Accura.
Falcon is your's the one that took the Caps or the newer 209 model?
(BP)

Last edited by Breechplug; 08-18-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Falcon is your's the one that took the Caps or the newer 209 model?
It came with #11 cap and musket cap nipples. The breechplug was later swapped for one that uses the 209 shotgun primer.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Dominant Buck

see, mine came with all three ignitions. But I use the 209 in it. It works so good, I see no reason to change it. Although I have thought of going to the musket cap. Just a great rifle.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
see, mine came with all three ignitions. But I use the 209 in it. It works so good, I see no reason to change it. Although I have thought of going to the musket cap. Just a great rifle.
Dave you have the newer model Stag Horn, it came with fiber optic sights and will handle 150gr's of powder. Plus like you said it came with a choice of a cap, 209 or the musket cap.
The original Stag Horn would only handle up to 100gr's of powder, only took the No11 Caps and had no fiber optic sights.
(BP)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.