Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Elk bullet suggestions?

Old 07-28-2012, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
The elk you see on the thor website, most of them took my advice and look what it got them. Success as usual.
Move over Jim Shocky, we got a new expert on the web.
So tell me, if you tell someone to use them and they actually kill an elk do you count that as yours????
Ron
Old 07-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
If we all took your advice we would be shooting powerbelts and thors out of a CVA with Blackhorn while peering through a Konis scope mounted on a dura sight base hoping to hit that dirty bird target off a Caldwell leadsled. Is that about right???
Now that is funny.
ROn
Old 07-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by idahoron
Now that is funny.
ROn
I only take pride in seeing others score off my suggestions, our area is poor hunting, hope that changes this year

I shoot the shoot n see targets now, much better as i can use it for both open sight and scope!

Powerbelts only if the shooter is stuck on using them, i mainly use them for trigger practice.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now now youngsters. Lets not get bogged down by the details.

Anybody using a Barnes sabot, Thor, or a big honking hunk of lead for elk. Should do well if they place the bullet where it belongs.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
I only take pride in seeing others score off my suggestions, our area is poor hunting, hope that changes this year

I shoot the shoot n see targets now, much better as i can use it for both open sight and scope!

Powerbelts only if the shooter is stuck on using them, i mainly use them for trigger practice.
You get pride in seeing others score off your suggestions?? That is like Steve wonder saying go see the grand canyon I personally know it is wonderful. .
Ron
Old 07-28-2012, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Now now youngsters. Lets not get bogged down by the details.

Anybody using a Barnes sabot, Thor, or a big honking hunk of lead for elk. Should do well if they place the bullet where it belongs.
Your right. Even a .243 will kill an elk if it is hit right. I can say that because I have done it. Ron
Old 07-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Banned

we've run thors through muleys in new mexico, i think i have a lot more experience with thors/barnes and round ball kills than you?
Old 07-28-2012, 06:38 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Muley you miss the whole point.

People ask questions because they are curious, and want to learn. They don't wish for their threads to decay into debate games.
To late

Old 07-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by idahoron
Your right. Even a .243 will kill an elk if it is hit right. I can say that because I have done it. Ron
And I can state that a 243 will harvest a Idaho moose at 84 yards with proper shot placement - but I would still not advise it as the best way to hunt moose.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

The 170gr Partition in a 30-30 has been good to me for years for elk, but this isn't the forum for that conversation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.