Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A new toy showed up

Old 07-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Angry

I know a few of these morons who take more then their tags allow. They are idiots who give us hunters a bad name. Had a friend once who had this guy take care of his property. Well this guy would end up taking huge amounts of deer each year and my friend thought that it was funny. Well it wasn't funny when we had a hard time even seeing a deer on his property during the season to shoot because this mountain moron had been shooting deer for the last two months before we even got to the property.

Oh yeah did I mention he also would bait deer which is a criminal offense here in Virginia.

I have a new place to hunt now and that God for that. But I always laugh at the figures the state put out on numbers of deer killed. If they only knew!!!!!
Old 07-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know that goes on too, but i'm talking about legally taking a bunch of deer.

One guy on another ML forum talked about tags for two different ML seasons, and some from rifle season, and I believe he said something about being able to buy as many doe tags as you want.

It sounded nuts to me when I have a hard time trying to get one tag in the draw.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Actually there are a couple areas here in PA where you can do that. One area is down around Philadelphia. So many deer and very few hunters willing to hunt there. You're basically hunting in people's back yards. The deer eat the flowers and cause havoc in the neighborhood.
I believe there are areas in the western part of the state with a similar problem.
As for the southern states. Chime in if I'm wrong but I believe in Alabama you can shoot a deer a day all through the season. I think the limits in SC are high too.

Last edited by bronko22000; 07-31-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Many years ago in Wisconsin the deer were every where. Deer hunting was almost a sure thing if you were willing to hunt. I mean you'd at least get one for your freezer. They were so thick that the DNR demanded we shoot a doe before we could even hunt a buck. They called it the "Earn a Buck Program."

Then the state developed the CWD problem and the DNR began a systematic mass slaughter of the deer herds, allowing you as many tags as you wanted in some cases. They encouraged you to shoot doe. And one year it was doe only as I remember. There were hunters that had 10 deer hanging in trees around their house. I got into a nasty argument with one person I knew because I was sure they'd never be able to eat all the deer they had killed. Their reply was, its legal so */.*- you.

Well the DNR got what they wanted and the herd was reduced to such a point that in some areas of the state, you're lucky to just see a deer. Its buck only hunting now. Which is fine with me. But as I told people I know.. had you taken just one doe to put in the freezer instead of shooting the whole herd, you'd have deer to hunt.

As my Dad loves to say.. If you go in the barn and shoot all the cows, your spring calf numbers are pitiful.

I am happy to report that I have a large doe that is very cautious. She comes into my yard and eats out of my gardens and the grass in the yard. But if I go by a window, she disappears. Glad to see that. She's avoiding people. And she looked real healthy. Just a pleasure to watch her.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

The limits here in Maryland seem to go up every year. My harvest remains about the same every year at anywhere from 1 to 3 deer. My limit for consumption is about 3 does in the 90 pound range. If I were to harvest more than that I would have no problem giving it away. It's a good thing I am a lousy bow hunter. There is no limit on the number of does you may harvest with a bow here in Maryland. If I could harvest deer with a bow I would probably not even hunt with a gun because my freezer would be full. And that would be a shame. Anymore I hardly waste my time going out with a bow and just wait for the early muzzleloader season. I think the limit for muzzleloader season is something like a total of 10 does and 2 bucks. You must shoot a doe before you shoot a second buck though, I think. I will refresh my memory on all of that when I purchase my licence this year and get the new hand book. Some limits may have changed. Anyway, most years it's all I can do to harvest the 3 deer it will take to fill the freezer and last me through the year.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
As for the southern states. Chime in if I'm wrong but I believe in Alabama you can shoot a deer a day all through the season.
Here in TN, part of the state you can shoot 3 does a day. I don't know anyone who does it, but it is legal. I can easily see all that fun quickly turning into work. 13 in a year is the most I have killed and I swore I would never do it again.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

The limit in Louisiana is three does and three bucks.

Like Pluckit, I can use about three deer over the course of a year so that's what I usually kill. I killed five one year, about fifteen years back, and decided it was way too much.

I like to take two does fairly early in the season and then just watch the does and hope for a mature buck. Last season was a real stinker though. Hunters state-wide, and even up in to Mississippi were complaining about the low number of deer sightings. Most blamed the humongous acorn crop causing very little movement. I got only one doe which is just about gone from the freezer even though we have been using it sparingly.