Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Converting a Renegade Stock to a Hawken

Old 07-04-2012, 01:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default Converting a Renegade Stock to a Hawken

I bought a used renegade stock online with the idea in mind to make my hawken into a more comfortable shooting hunting rifle. I wanted to save the hawken stock for rendezvous and such. I don't care for the way the raised cheek piece of the hawkens beats my face using 100 grains of powder. So I wanted a straight stock and a renegade was the closet match I could find.

The renegade has a 1" recessed stock and the hawkens has a 15/16" recessed stock. My plan is to modify the stock to fit all hawken parts. The locks are the same and the trigger assembly is supposed to be also. My Idea on the barrel was to glass bed it up to the wedge pin and let the rest of the barrel free float.

If anyone has tried this do you think glass bedding the entire length of the stock would be the way to go?

I'm sure if I get enough mold release on the wedge pin and surrounding area it wouldn't stick it. If I bedded the entire stock.

Thoughts?
Old 07-04-2012, 04:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

That would probably work. And for a better fit you would have to get a hawken tang also. The hardware is all interchangeable between the Renegade and Hawken except the barrel and tang (and the ramod is shorter on the Renegade). I am not sure if the barrel's wedge lug is in the same location. You might want to check that first. Just remember you can't just bed the bottom of the stock's barrel channel. You will have to put in enough bedding material to as least cover three of the barrel flats to avoid side to side wobble. If you want to stop the bedding just past the wedge you can use molding clay to make a dam in that area to stop the bedding. Also, once it is determined that the barrel lug fits the recess in the stock, remove the lug and cover the stock recess with a couple layers of masking tape. YOU DO NOT want any bedding material getting in there and plugging up your ramrod hole. I would also put clay in the barrel's dovetail.
Use plenty of release agent. Especially around the tang area.

Last edited by bronko22000; 07-04-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Blackelk
I bought a used renegade stock online with the idea in mind to make my hawken into a more comfortable shooting hunting rifle. I wanted to save the hawken stock for rendezvous and such. I don't care for the way the raised cheek piece of the hawkens beats my face using 100 grains of powder. So I wanted a straight stock and a renegade was the closet match I could find.

The renegade has a 1" recessed stock and the hawkens has a 15/16" recessed stock. My plan is to modify the stock to fit all hawken parts. The locks are the same and the trigger assembly is supposed to be also. My Idea on the barrel was to glass bed it up to the wedge pin and let the rest of the barrel free float.

If anyone has tried this do you think glass bedding the entire length of the stock would be the way to go?

I'm sure if I get enough mold release on the wedge pin and surrounding area it wouldn't stick it. If I bedded the entire stock.

Thoughts?
You really do not have to do much at all... Everything drops right in. It all comes down to the fit of the nipple under the hammer and the fitod the wedge pin. The barrel channel not even worth the effort. There is 1/16" difference on in barrel diameters so translate to a 32" difference on each side.

This is a picture of a Renegade stock with a 15/16" GM-LRH barrel installed - Dropped right in..

This is another picture of stock swapping between a Renegade and a Hawken..

One more pic of a GM-LRH SS barrel installed in a new Renegade stock...

OK... the possible hang ups...

there is some possibilty that the nipple of the new barrel might not fit squarely under the hammer. Normally this is not a problem but it may require some adjustment to get right.

Also the is a possibility that the wedge pin might not be snug or when inserted into the slot. The important point is the pin needs to be snug to hold the barrel correctly, but again it is an easy fix.

Another one that you might run into is that all Renegade stocks are not created equally. Some forearms are just a bit longer than another which might cause a problem with the fit of the under rib on the barrel. It might be just a bit to long and you might have remove some material from the rib.

I have never had to bed anything to get better accuracy or fit.

Hope all goes well for you...
Old 07-04-2012, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Loving your Renken SL. Reminds me of my old Renegade, except I had the RB GM barrel.

Nice job.

I wish my eyes would let me use iron sights. Your gun beats any inline made to me.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Loving your Renken SL. Reminds me of my old Renegade, except I had the RB GM barrel.

Nice job.

I wish my eyes would let me use iron sights. Your gun beats any inline made to me.
Every time I go to Rondy shoots - I really really wish i had a real round ball barrel - just to see how much difference it might make...

These are my Rondy round ball shooters..

Old 07-04-2012, 07:52 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Sabotloader, if you want a 1:65 barrel for that Renegade I could send you one. Just pm me .

Old 07-04-2012, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

There are plenty of Hawkins out there that are set up to hunt and be more comfortable. This is my Hawkins .54 cal. I am shooting a Barnes sabot and she has worked well in the woods for me:

This is my .50 cal. and I am shooting PRB in it:

Now these are carbines and they do come in a rifle version. InvestArms of Italy makes them. Cabalas sells my .54 cal.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:54 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks gentlemen for the comments.