Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lehigh Conical VS Bull Shop Conical

Old 07-01-2012, 07:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dave - good report and nice shooting. Both them bullet shoot great out of that rifle. And I do think you're right about that short barrel. I bet you wouldn't see a difference with 100 gr or maybe even 90 gr over the 110 gr charge.
Another thing, I believe the Lehigh's would give you the edge if your shots were beyond 100 yds. But knowing how far you shoot from previous posts I honestly believe the Bullshops bullets would better suit you and your short range hunting. They are more than likely cheaper than the Lehigh's and I do believe they could stop a Mack truck @ 488 gr. That is one heck of a chunk of lead. Heck I can melt one down and get two .54 cal (.530") and still have some lead left over....
Old 07-01-2012, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

The expense is a factor for me. I think those lehighs run about $1.25 each so about a dollar a shot more than a lead conical. Not really a factor for hunting where you don't take many shots but for practice sessions it is a factor for me.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by flounder33
The expense is a factor for me. I think those lehighs run about $1.25 each so about a dollar a shot more than a lead conical. Not really a factor for hunting where you don't take many shots but for practice sessions it is a factor for me.
I really agree Art with your assement and at some point I will just switch to a Sierra 458-300 and sabot for practice. They shoot very close to the same trajectory and velocity.

Save the Lehighs to check POI in the fall and use them to hunt with.

Shooting straight lead will always be less expensive than most other forms, but I really believe our days of shooting lead a numbered.

The State of Washington just completed a big study on Bald Eagles and found that every eagle tested had elevated lead levels... they did not say what the caused the elevated levels but you know a group of people are going to jump all over that and use it.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bald Eagles have made such an amazing comeback in our area so I don't know why any body would have to worry about them. But I agree the Chicken Littles are always looking for something to make their case.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Regarding the short barrel and powder burn. Before I cut the QLA from my X7 it had a 24" barrel, including the breech plug and QLA.

Here are 5-shot average chronograph readings from that barrel with T7 FFFG

250 grain Deep Curls

85 grains - 1897 fps
95 grains - 1912 fps
105 grains - 1939 fps
115 grains - 1976 fps

270 grain Deep Curls

85 grains - 1807 fps
95 grains - 1873 fps
105 grains - 1941 fps
115 grains - 1976 fps

300 grain XTPs

85 grains - 1749 fps
95 grains - 1817 fps
105 grains - 1875 fps
115 grains - 1915 fps

As you can see, velocity continues to increase with all bullet weights. I have to conclude that all of the powder is burned, even in that short barrel.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Huh -whoda thunk it? I guess without the chrony we'd have never known that
Old 07-01-2012, 11:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Dave - good report and nice shooting. Both them bullet shoot great out of that rifle. And I do think you're right about that short barrel. I bet you wouldn't see a difference with 100 gr or maybe even 90 gr over the 110 gr charge.
Another thing, I believe the Lehigh's would give you the edge if your shots were beyond 100 yds. But knowing how far you shoot from previous posts I honestly believe the Bullshops bullets would better suit you and your short range hunting. They are more than likely cheaper than the Lehigh's and I do believe they could stop a Mack truck @ 488 gr. That is one heck of a chunk of lead. Heck I can melt one down and get two .54 cal (.530") and still have some lead left over....
Bronco, I think back in the day or even now at times using real black powder the to much powder factor would come into play with a short barrel or even a long barrel But, to day with the faster burning T7 and/or pregressive burning BH that may not be the case.

I will find out more this morning