Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Questions for Idahoron

Old 06-30-2012, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Questions for Idahoron

I have been following your posts on paper patching with interest for a couple years now and am getting ready to try it myself.
I have a few questions.
I know that paper is one of the worst things as far as dulling cutting tools. Do you think a paper patched bullet causes any excessive wear to the lands?
How much resistance to you like to feel when loading your paper patched bullets?
Do you swab between shots with this method?
I have noticed that the conicals you use have grease grooves while some of the custom mold makers show pp bullet molds with smooth sides. What are your thoughts on this? I think you use the old whitworth bullet design, have you tried many others?
Your pp bullets are a thing of beauty, I hope my old fumble fingers can get the job done.
Thanks,
Art

Last edited by flounder33; 06-30-2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Art, Paper that is high in ash is very tough on cutting edges. The cotton paper that is the best quality is low in ash that is what I use. It is getting very hard to find this type of paper. Many guys will lap their bores for better accuracy. I have seen mine get slightly smoother and the GM barrels seem to shoot better as they wear in. My opinion is the sharp edges are not a benefit. The sharp edges will cut patches and will cut cloth or paper on bullets. To be honest I think that when guys work at removing lead and plastic they do as much or more damage.

After getting my loads down pat I don't shoot 100's or 1000's of rounds to keep checking accuracy or what ever. I do shoot before hunts to get back in the swing but I don't over do it. All barrels will see negative affects of shooting. Will paper speed this up? I have been shooting these rifles for a number of years. So far I am happy with the results.

Resistance in the barrel depends on what the barrel likes. For my .451 I tried different sizes and then settled on a .446 bullet and sized to .446 This gives me a slightly looser fit than my 50 but it is still tight enough to keep them from coming off the powder.

I do swab between shots but my goal is a load that will be 3 shots, sub 2" groups at 100 yards without cleaning. Some will do sub 2" groups with 5 shots. I want them to be hunting loads not just target loads.

Yes my bullets have GG. The 500 S&W bullets are large meplat type that impart massive energy to the animal on impact. Most PP bullets that are smooth sided have a somewhat pointed bullet and little to no meplat. These are designed to shoot targets at very long range. Since our sport is a sport of 200 yards or less a person doesn't need a 1000 yard type bullet. Like I said before the GG type are designed mostly for hunting with pistols. Some are accurate for ML's but a guy has to try them and sometimes lead hardness plays a role in finding that perfect load.

IF you have any questions feel free to ask. Ron
Old 07-01-2012, 06:30 PM
1874sharpsshooter

I know this question wasn't directed towards me but I would like to say that I shoot pp bullets in my Gibbs and most LR Gibbs shooters I know shoot pp bullets and don't seem to consider barrel wear a factor from it. Before Joe Hepsworth died he made pp bullets for a lot of 1000 meter shooters. They are definitely more accurate than grease groove. Just my opinion

Old 07-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, I guess job #1 will be to find some of the correct paper. I have been practicing a little with some notebook paper just to try and get the hang of it. I have a ways to go before I will be shooting any.
Art
Old 07-01-2012, 07:01 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by flounder33
Thanks, I guess job #1 will be to find some of the correct paper. I have been practicing a little with some notebook paper just to try and get the hang of it. I have a ways to go before I will be shooting any.
Art
Linen paper is the best

Old 07-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Notebook paper is the highest in ash and would be way too thick. Old pattern paper for making clothes is used by some guys when they can't find onion skin. Ron
Old 07-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
I know this question wasn't directed towards me but I would like to say that I shoot pp bullets in my Gibbs and most LR Gibbs shooters I know shoot pp bullets and don't seem to consider barrel wear a factor from it. Before Joe Hepsworth died he made pp bullets for a lot of 1000 meter shooters. They are definitely more accurate than grease groove. Just my opinion
I would agree for 1000 yard or meter the PP bullets would be better. But if I am not mistaken I think he is talking about hunting ranges. FOr that the GG bullets are MORE than adequate. Ron
Old 07-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you wet the paper when you wrap the bullets. I am trying to figure out what makes the paper stay put. I have a templet made for cutting paper to wrap my .504 bullets, when I get to a bigger city I will hunt for some paper.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default just my 2 cents.

flounder33,
here is a link that you may find useful. I have kinda been hiding in the shadows for the last few years and have not replied or had any social net activity on here since I left and came back stateside. I didn't mean to stick my nose in this thread, but thought that yall might wanna order your paper instead of wasting valuable dollars in fuel. Good luck with the PP bullets.

V/R
Slow Burn

http://www.thepapermillstore.com/pap...FQed7QodYCAT-Q
Old 07-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Slow Burn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.