Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ever seen one of these?

Old 06-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know about that Bronko. I started to hunt with my dad in the early 50's until he passed in the mid 80's. We never changed a single thing. Same guns, same ammo, same hunting style, and even the same hunting clothes.

We got plenty of game, and never saw a reason to change anything. I'm just carrying on with what I know he'd be doing if he was here.

I don't carry a roll. I cut them about 3ft long and take a bunch with me hooked in my belt. I just keep reusing them. No trash.

I understand the advantages of a GPS. I just like doing it my way. It gives me a reason to be in the mountains a lot.

I used to do it with no tape, but my memory is not what it used to be. I need a little help now. Nobody hates to see litter in the mountains more than me. I would never contribute to it.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Muley,

Nothing personal, I'm not trying to kick you in the teeth, but that wouldn't fly in my neck of the woods!.... I found a trail of those ribbons going through my property once and after a half dozen phone calls to different agencies trying to figure out who was coming in and what kind of work they were going to be doing...I found out it was some tard that was afraid of getting lost while he was out hunting.....JEEEEZUUUUUS!!! You are fortunate to live where you do...too many things have changed here in the north central Pa. since I was a kid. Never used to be any problems but those days are long gone. There aren't many of us natives left.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 06-27-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

150 years ago, they didn't have flagging tape.....
Old 06-28-2012, 05:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
150 years ago, they didn't have flagging tape.....
150 years ago it wouldn't matter if I got lost. I'd be living off the land, and where ever I was would be home.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Muley,

Nothing personal, I'm not trying to kick you in the teeth, but that wouldn't fly in my neck of the woods!.... I found a trail of those ribbons going through my property once and after a half dozen phone calls to different agencies trying to figure out who was coming in and what kind of work they were going to be doing...I found out it was some tard that was afraid of getting lost while he was out hunting.....JEEEEZUUUUUS!!! You are fortunate to live where you do...too many things have changed here in the north central Pa. since I was a kid. Never used to be any problems but those days are long gone. There aren't many of us natives left.

BPS
I wouldn't need the tape where you live.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Muley,

You got that right...when I was a kid you could hunt wherever you pleased. Most folks wouldn't even give a second look because everybody knew everybody else. Those days are over. There are so few of us natives left that you better know where you're at and have permission or someone will be right there to let you know that you can get the hell out. I even know of a few that monitor their property by camera. There are still large tracts of woods here in north central Pa. but the ownership has been broken up so many times over that now most of the owners are not natives. They moved here to get away from the ratrace and dog eat dog life they had but they forgot to leave it behind. You are blessed to say the least.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 06-28-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Muley,

You got that right...when I was a kid you could hunt wherever you pleased. Most folks wouldn't even give a second look because everybody knew everybody else. Those days are over. There are so few of us natives left that you better know where you're at and have permission or someone will be right there to let you know that you can get the hell out. I even know of a few that monitor their property by camera. There are still large tracts of woods here in north central Pa. but the ownership has been broken up so many times over that now most of the owners are not natives. They moved here to get away from the ratrace and dog eat dog life they had but they forgot to leave it behind. You are blessed to say the least.

BPS
I don't see a problem with someone monitoring their own property and keeping track of who is on it and kicking people off that they don't want. I mean it is their property after all that they pay for. Just because someone cares now doesn't mean that they are wrong because the people before them didn't care.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

BPS,

That, plus in the Rockies if you get lost you can die. I don't have a private property problem most of the time. It's all national forest land.

As I said. I never used to use anything, and would remember game trails, creeks, rock croppings etc. My memory let me down a few times, and that's when I started to use tape.

I feel the same way as you guys about tape. I'd get upset when I saw hanging up. If I came back the next day, and it was still there. I knew someone left it there, and i'd take it down.

As long as the DOW and NFS is ok with it. I'll use the tape. Unless someone wants to buy me a GPS, because I have more important things to buy with my lousy income.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

The one I showed at the beginning of this thread cost me $26.00 plus shipping.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by chaded
I don't see a problem with someone monitoring their own property and keeping track of who is on it and kicking people off that they don't want. I mean it is their property after all that they pay for. Just because someone cares now doesn't mean that they are wrong because the people before them didn't care.
The point I'm trying to make is that when the masses started moving out of the densly populated areas of this state and our neighboring states into the rural area I grew up in. They destroyed a way of life, "a culture" so to speak that had existed for generations. People here were friendly toward one another and knew their neighbors and coexisted peacefully. Posted signs were unheard of when I was a kid, and it wasn't until I was in high school that they began to appear in the township where I live. That was about the time that the major influx of "outsiders" bore down upon us. They were used to taking advantage of others for their personal gain and stepping on one another was commonplace for many of them. Most of them aren't hard to pick out, their bullish attitude and boisterous mannerisms give them away. There are some that you can break bread with, as they try hard to fit in and get along. Sadly enough, I wouldn't recommend that you turn your back on the rest.

BPS