Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

White Lightning Changes

Old 06-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default White Lightning Changes

Had some time today so I made a couple of changes to my newly acquired Lightning.

I have only had one chance to get to shoot it but that very breif shooting trip has shown me that I have another good shooten White.

Changes... I know I am not the brightest light bulb in the house... but today while I was trying to set the creep and eventually the trigger pull, I decided I hated dry firing this thing again the breech plug. I have been doing this with all my inline caps guns on occasion and it drove me nuts.

Several years ago I installed started installing a thick leather stop on my side locks, first I used it to absorb the oild that might run down the barrel while stored vertically. The leather would catch it all and I would not have to worry about the nipple filling with oil and contaminates.

But then, I figured out it was also a good way to dry fire the gun and not harm or wear anything....

Here is a picture of the sidelock setup... Old timers probably have been doing this years before I thought of it...

Well here it is 2012 and I am looking at the Lightning thinking - dang I hate to peen the nipple... yes I could remove the breech plug... but then the light went on... Why not??? I did make one and install it and it works great in both aspects - dang cheap too.

Alright I know a lot of you thought of this or something like it long ago... but....

The other thing I changed is I removed the flexible ram rod without a loading jag on it found and old light weight Knight ram rod - I then cut it down salvaged the tip and pounded it back into the rod. Installed a Knight/Lehigh loading jag and now I am happy.

The front sight will be changed eventually also I have .312N williams Fire Sight and a Fire Sight hood to go the original Williams ramp that came with the gun. The Omega front site will leave and I will be back to the setup I really like for an open front sight.

You can see the front sight setup in this picture... looking through the peep it gives you the illusion that you might be looking through a 1x scope

Old 06-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Dominant Buck

That looks real good there Sabotloader. Out of curiosity, have you tried any big lead conicals out of that rifle yet? Their accuracy might really surprise you. It looks like a nice White to me.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
That looks real good there Sabotloader. Out of curiosity, have you tried any big lead conicals out of that rifle yet? Their accuracy might really surprise you. It looks like a nice White to me.
No I have not shoot any lead from it yet but you can bet your sweet bippy that Nimrodder did while he had it. I can not imagine a White that will not shoot big lead.

Might run some Bull Shops out of later. Eventually I will need to shoot lead for the Idaho ML season but I think I may be shooting some Buffalo 385 grain lead conicals from it then.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:57 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Beautiful looking Lightning. I like that sight setup and the camo pattern.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Beautiful looking Lightning. I like that sight setup and the camo pattern.
Not to mention so far it shoots pretty goot also...

Old 06-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

Nice looking gun there sabot she looks like a shooter
Old 06-16-2012, 04:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

For got one other change that I made today..

I added a Tyler Trigger Shoe, this gives you a wider distribution of pull across the trigger. Offers a lot better feel to the pull.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't believe I'm the only one that has asked if you got the creep out.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Underclocked
I can't believe I'm the only one that has asked if you got the creep out.
Which 'creep' - your mind is deviating again!

But I did get the creep out - but I do have some work to do on the trigger. It appears some where along the line the pin that holds the sear in place has fallen out. The holes are just a bit oblong and a cut pin of some sort has been installed. It easily falls out of place. So anyway it will be an easy fix to drill the holes out to round again and install a new pressed in pin...

But yes the 'creep' is out and it a very smooth pull now...