Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Underhammer Build - Status Report #4

Old 06-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like the jag on a ramrod like that also. But a 3/8" protrusion beyond the muzzle would not bother me at all. Nor would having it flush with the bore and 3/8" short.

Anyway, when hunting I carry a spin jag in my pocket in the event I need a little extra length on the ramrod for some reason. Then I can have the permanent jag on one end and the spin jag on the other.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Banned

im likin what i see's! I got dibs on the first Professional - Expert review on it.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
I like the jag on a ramrod like that also. But a 3/8" protrusion beyond the muzzle would not bother me at all. Nor would having it flush with the bore and 3/8" short.

Anyway, when hunting I carry a spin jag in my pocket in the event I need a little extra length on the ramrod for some reason. Then I can have the permanent jag on one end and the spin jag on the other.
I know this is crazy with a ML, but there are times that want to pull the ram rod and patch or load quickly without adding attachments... especially elk hunting. We do not have the luxary of hunting from stands or blinds - we are on the ground on public lands. I know it may not seem important to a lot but it makes me feel better...
Old 06-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sabotloader, I never expected you to be even more anal than I am.

Really now. If you have a jag-end-ramrod like the one in your picture, what's the concern if it's 3/8" short of reaching the bottom of the bore?

Let's assume the powder and bullet take up 3.5" of space at the breech end. That would be typical for a 100 grain load with a 250 grain bullet in a .50 caliber. Now with a bore length rod you will have 3.5" of rod sticking out when you seat the load. With a rod that's 3/8" short of bore length you will have and 3.125" sticking out. How big a deal can that be?

As far as swabbing, if you're not using an extension with your bore length rod you're swabbing somewhat short of the breech face anyway - probably an inch or so. Will a swab that's 0.375" shorter be a problem? I think not.

Now leave me along. I've worked with a short rod all my life and have learned to adapt.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sabotloader, I never expected you to be even more anal than I am.

Really now. If you have a jag-end-ramrod like the one in your picture, what's the concern if it's 3/8" short of reaching the bottom of the bore?
One word - no two words - "Crud Ring" + I want to patch the bore to the face of the BP so everything remains the same shot to shot or after 20 shots...

Let's assume the powder and bullet take up 3.5" of space at the breech end. That would be typical for a 100 grain load with a 250 grain bullet in a .50 caliber. Now with a bore length rod you will have 3.5" of rod sticking out when you seat the load. With a rod that's 3/8" short of bore length you will have and 3.125" sticking out. How big a deal can that be?

As far as swabbing, if you're not using an extension with your bore length rod you're swabbing somewhat short of the breech face anyway - probably an inch or so. Will a swab that's 0.375" shorter be a problem? I think not.
No all of my gun rods reach the face of the BP witout attachments - I did have one gun that didn't but I sold it.

Now leave me along. I've worked with a short rod all my life and have learned to adapt.
Ok... you are right I will adapt...
Old 06-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ok... you are right I will adapt...
Oh! Do you have a short rod too? (It's not the length of the rod. It's how you use it.)
Old 06-16-2012, 08:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Oh! Do you have a short rod too? (It's not the length of the rod. It's how you use it.)
Way to much information being gathered...
Old 06-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

One word - no two words - "Crud Ring" + I want to patch the bore to the face of the BP so everything remains the same shot to shot or after 20 shots...
Well I agree with that. I thought we were talking hunting situations. If we're considering a string of multiple shots I would want to swab to the breech face too. That's what range rods are for. I haven't used the guns rod for target shooting or range sessions in years.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I agree with that. I thought we were talking hunting situations. If we're considering a string of multiple shots I would want to swab to the breech face too. That's what range rods are for. I haven't used the guns rod for target shooting or range sessions in years.
In my world gun rods are pretty much useless... I even hate to use them when hunting but on occasion you have to...
Old 06-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
im likin what i see's! I got dibs on the first Professional - Expert review on it.
Sorry MD - I have you beat on that request by several days.