Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Who'd a thunk it! Not ML related (YET)!

Old 06-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Who'd a thunk it! Not ML related (YET)!

Me and my friend put out our trail cams last week and went to pick them up this afternoon to see what was on them. If you remember in my other post about the really nice buck and others that were on my friend's cam at the other location. Well Neither of us would have ever thought that the same bachleor group of 5 buck would have had their pictures taken at this SECOND location also. Now we're talking crossing a highway, two valleys and two mountains over (a distance of about 2 miles the way the crow flies).
Old 06-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wow. That really a traveling group. It will be interesting to see if they show up at the first site again.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi - Not only traveling - but what are the odds of getting them on camera at both locations??
Old 06-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

Deer often travel a lot farther than what people think. Out in the area where my camp is its funny whenever everyone in a few mile radius of each other have the same bucks on camera and go to show the other people what they got on cam and then the same people have them bucks on theirs.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Well Neither of us would have ever thought that the same bachleor group of 5 buck would have had their pictures taken at this SECOND location also. Now we're talking crossing a highway, two valleys and two mountains over (a distance of about 2 miles the way the crow flies).
Deer do not do very well at looking both ways before crossing. Hopefully they all keep making the journey safely.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I think the distance deer travel is directly in proportion to the food supply in the area, available water supply, the bedding area available, and the degree of security they feel. But deer will move if they feel threatened in an area, find a better food source, or have a lack of bedding area. That is pretty interesting that you caught the same group on different cameras, that far away.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

Some deer are known to travel in circuitous patterns which can take a number of days to complete the circuit.

During hunts, yearling bucks and 2-1/2-year-old bucks travel farther than older bucks. During the first two days of a hunt, bucks in those age groups die at faster rates than any other sex-age class.
-- Don Autry, Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge, Illinois.

The mean distance between a survivor buck’s last pre-hunt location and its first post-hunt location averaged .57 miles. The average distance between a harvested buck’s pre-hunt activity center and the site where it was shot was 1.92 miles.
-- Don Autry, Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge, Illinois.

In fact, deer inside the refuges apparently felt so secure that their routine movements remained the same before, during and after the hunt. Deer outside the refuges, however, laid low in daylight unless pushed, and they remained sedentary in daylight after the hunt. Only nine of the 57 deer left their home range, with five doing so at night. These “explorers” traveled .62 miles to 3.7 miles from home, but all returned within one to six days.

http://www.buckmovements.com/pages/d...he-coop/page-2

Last edited by arcticap; 06-03-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sweet! Pics bronko....pics!
Old 06-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry WV - This buck was on my friend's cam . But I can tell you that the big one of the bunch has his antlers well past his ear tips already. Two of the others look to be like they are going to be 6 or 8 pts. Then there is what looks to be a Y buck and another spike.