Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Smokeless or Not

Old 05-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not completely sure what your limits are for ML season there, other than no sabots or scopes. But if you want to get into the smokeless game and do it somewhat cheap, what about getting an H&R Handi Rifle and then ordering an SMI barrel for it? You can get into it that way for less than a Savage and still end up with a centerfire rifle and a muzzleloader. Then while your at it you can use sub powders in the barrel for muzzleloader season and smokeless for rifle season. As for sights, get one of these
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/111...lue?cm_vc=S014
SMI includes an Weaver rail and will install a front sight free if you supply the sight. That's exactly the route that I went, except for an Encore since that's what I had.