Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Smokeless or Not

Old 05-25-2012, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
It agree that it's just a matter of whatever tickles your fancy. Personally I've never had and itch for smokeless muzzleloading and tend to lean in the other direction. I have two in-lines but do most of my shooting with sidehammers and GOEX powder.
I agree with Semi...If I want to shoot a smokeless powder firearm, I'll break out the .270, .243, 7-30 Waters, 30-30, .45LC, .22 mag, etc.,etc. I'm also way too "old school" and I don't believe I could force my self to dump smokeless powder down a barrel no matter what the manufacturer states is safe.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 05-25-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think as long as you follow the instructions you're safe. As for if it's worth it? It's a personal thing. I had a Savage and didn't like it much. They have a lot of potential, just something about that gun didn't click with me. I ended up selling it a couple years ago. (They do still make the savage, just in limited runs. They did just come out with a run of them, so there's several places that have them in stock.)
Skip ahead a couple years and I got a TC Pro Hunter. I really like that gun. My option was to order a smokeless barrel from SMI that I'm waiting for right now. Should be here in the next couple weeks hopefully so I can try it out.
Point is I guess that you have options, and there's something out there for pretty much everyone. Just have to decide what you like.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

We all have a different way of looking at things. I would much rather shoot a smokeless muzzleloader in rifle season. Than use an inline in muzzleloader season. At least i'm not taking the easy way in doing that.

I've never handled the Savage 10ML II. It's based on the Savage 110. Does it feel much different?
Old 05-25-2012, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its based on a Savage model 10 AKA short action. Several parts from the CFs can be used for customization too.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Actually you CAN down load atleast 2 of the current book powders by about 8-10grs below the recommended max load data of 43gr. Roughly 35gr of N110 is a near duplicate in fps to a 100gr (Volume) BH209 load and can be super accurate. Its a total cream puff to shoot with a either a 225gr XPB or 250gr SST at about 1900fps.

In a ML that is loaded correctly you always have 100% load density or a slightly compressed load. Powder selection is the key. You don't want to try going too low with a slower powder such as Re7 or 4198. Not so much because it is dangerous but they wont build enough pressure to keep the powder burning.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm really liking this idea the more I get into it. I've read the Savage is designed to use sabots. Tight sabots so the proper pressure will build up. They're also supposed to act as a safety valve too, and the sabot will blow out with too much pressure. Is that true?

If it's true. I wonder how Toby blew up the barrel? Double load maybe?

So, my plan is still forming, but i'm thinking like this. Smokeless ML for rifle seasons. Caplock with real BP and a PRB for ML season. Elk for smokeless, and deer for traditional. Whatcha think?
Old 05-25-2012, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

In MOST cases the sabot will blow before the barrel and then needs to be cleaned/inspected for safety reasons. The barrel is rated at well over 100k PSI BURST strength. That doesn't mean it wont bulge on a double charge (as an example) It might. William Ball (co-inventor) proved this years ago by shooting a double charge without the barrel failing.

Let me know if you want some links to the load data ive mentioned. Most of it will include pressure traces and fps. There is a HUGE data base on Doug's from VERY well respected members.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Muley, seems like a good idea. I'm going to be using mine for all forms of hunting, at least for now. I like shooting subs, but I realized after hunting last year that I spent as much time cleaning over the course of the year as I did shooting. And after hunting season having to fully clean after 1 shot just didn't seem worth it. Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy cleaning, but with a full time job and a 3 and 4 year old, time is precious. At least for now I decided this was my best bet.
And... I can always shoot subs out of my smokeless barrel. Can't do it the other way around.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

GM,
Thanks, I will when the time comes. I want to concentrate on my elk hunt with Jon this year. I bought a cheap Wolf, and put a Simmons Pro Diamond on it. I didn't want to invest too much money, because I knew I was going to make a change for next year. I was going to go back to a CF gun, but I didn't really want to. I like muzzleloaders.

I really hate to reload, so the Savage is perfect for me. I can reload without buying any reloading equipment. I sold mine years ago, and swore i'd never buy it again.

I need to start saving some money. Those Savages are pricey.

I've never shot the Accutrigger. How do you like it?
Old 05-25-2012, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Muley, seems like a good idea. I'm going to be using mine for all forms of hunting, at least for now. I like shooting subs, but I realized after hunting last year that I spent as much time cleaning over the course of the year as I did shooting. And after hunting season having to fully clean after 1 shot just didn't seem worth it. Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy cleaning, but with a full time job and a 3 and 4 year old, time is precious. At least for now I decided this was my best bet.
And... I can always shoot subs out of my smokeless barrel. Can't do it the other way around.
I understand. When I was married and working I was always looking for time to hunt and clean guns.

Now I have all the time in the world. I'd hunt 365 days a year if they'd let me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.