Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Fixing Cracked Stocks

Old 05-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Fixing Cracked Stocks

In my ongoing quest to be of service to all mankind and especially my fellow gun nuts, I feel obligated to humbly pass along things I've discovered that make life easier.

Here's one you may need some day.

Have you ever tried to work epoxy or glue deep into a thin crack on a wood stock? It's hard to find something both thin enough and strong enough to do a good job.

The best thing I've found is the blade from a Gillette disposable razor - the cheapest one they make. They have two blades that are .001 thick and are stiff enough to get the job done in very thin cracks. For a bonus, they have holes that help carry the epoxy.

A word of caution. After you brake the razor apart to get the blades be sure to dull the cutting edge by rubbing it with the back of a knife blade or something like that. Those suckers are sharp.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not bad bud!!! good idea.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I first saw the picture I thought you fixing the razor.

I thought old semi is having hard times.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi, Doesn't the blood help with the bonding process? And why do you have to dull the blades? I would think they are dull enough from you shaving your legs for your Friday night outings!!!!! Anyway, thanks for the advice.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Doesn't the blood help with the bonding process?
Yes, but it stains the stock. And I quit shaving my legs. These days I have to shave my ears.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hmmm, Semi ask your wife if there is any resemblance to a Yeti.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:21 AM
Dominant Buck

why is it Semisane that the older we get the hair moves from off our heads to our ears and back of the necks? Just not fair. But then it don't take me long to cut my hair, but it does take longer to wash my face.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cayugad
why is it Semisane that the older we get the hair moves from off our heads to our ears and back of the necks? Just not fair. But then it don't take me long to cut my hair, but it does take longer to wash my face.
I'm even losing the hair from my legs. It's all in my nose now.

Hard to breath, and my legs are cold.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Cayugad, the reason hair grows in our ears as we age is because of the many years of hearing BS from politicians. It's all of that fertilizer ya` know. It doesn't happen to women because they just talk, never listen.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

I remember a gentleman telling me one time that you don't lose your hair as you grow older - it just comes out somewhere else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.