Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Chrono'ing the 30" barrel

Old 05-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Typical Buck

That would be a better comparison I think.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

You did say the barrel heats up fast, and you don't like the trigger.

A little more powder in the V2 should make up the difference in fps.

If we were talking about a longer barreled V2 we might have something. I don't think a Traditions is in the same league.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

Isn't it something how someone tries to show something and gets ridiculed? Maybe more should "order" one to test and write about. After the testing period just send it back if you do not like it.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

He will be.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know, I prefer a longer barrel myself. My opinion - for what its worth is that the longer barrel make more efficient use of heavier powder charges, give you a longer sighting plane for more precise aiming, and the heavier weight out front, at least for me, balances the rifle better allowing for a more stable hold should I need to shoot offhand. I believe that is the one reason I prefer my 32" barreled MLs over my 28" barreled ones.
But you know what they say about opinions? Some people prefer shorter barrels and some longer. At times I hunt some pretty nasty thick brush (mtn laurel/greenbriar) and I've never found the longer barrels a hinderence.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've hunted with 32" barrels too, but that's not what everybody wants. When you see a rifle called a mountain rifle. It has a shorter barrel.

Back in the 80's hunters were fed up with long barreled muzzleloaders. They went to Tony Knight, and asked for a short barreled ML. The inline was born.

Long barrels do burn the powder better, but that's for real BP and some of the subs. Certainly not BH 209. It burns fine in shorter barrels.

I'm going to try long range ML hunting next year for something new to try. I don't feel a need to use a longer barrel than 27".

How long is the Knight LRH barrel?
Old 05-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

I like the longer barrel better for MLs you get a better burn of powder and in the woods I see no difference in the shorter barrel and long for me I like the longer better and the barrel onthe LRH I think its 28in with 26 1/2 in usable

Last edited by a1smokepole; 05-22-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I must be hunting thicker timber than you guys?

I carry the gun sideways to me ready to fire. A longer barrel definitely gets in my way.

I found hunting with a GPR, or my old Renegade with GM 32" barrel a pain.

Just giving my side of it.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I must be hunting thicker timber than you guys?

I carry the gun sideways to me ready to fire. A longer barrel definitely gets in my way.

I found hunting with a GPR, or my old Renegade with GM 32" barrel a pain.

Just giving my side of it.
As we all are Muley. That's why the manufacturers make different MLs with different barrel lengths. You can get the 24" barrel in the Wolf up the a 42" barrel in a PA long rifle. (some longer). Its all a matter of taste.
As for the thicker timber portion - I think not. A lot of the areas I hunt in eastern PA, you can't see 20 yds. Between the scrub oaks, mountain laurel, greenbriar and blackberry bushes. Some of these places when you come out the other side it looks like you were in a fight with a wildcat. And look at the bush poor Semisane hunts. Those swamps in LA with the palmetto bushes, and all that other underbrush. Its no wonder the poor guy has to hunt food plots. Some of those places are even harder to get through than where I hunt.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, i've seen that junk. Not fun hunting. I'd probably hunt in a tree too.

I'm talking about trees here. So, I have to either turn sideways, or move the gun. I do a lot less of that with a shorter barrel.

Jon will have to use open sights. That means shorter ranges. Will a 30" barrel help him?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.