Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Encore Accuracy Problems

Old 10-14-2003, 06:59 PM

Default RE: Encore Accuracy Problems

i can' t wait to get something with my new encore. i managed to get a doe on saturday with my bow, 3rd bow kill so far.

good luck to you also ...let me know how your encore performs on the real thing!!
Old 10-15-2003, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

When I first got my Encore I could not get it to group either.[:@] First thing I did was rework the trigger with a new Bellm 3# spring. I then tried to shoot the 215 gr. PR with 150 gr. Pyrox. Those things flew all over the target. I switched to loose 777 to work the load for better results and still had no success. So I went back to the TC basic set up but using 777 instead of Pyrox. I went back to the 240 gr. XTP and 120 gr. 777 and man does my gun love it. I shoot less then 1" groups at 100 yards. I spit swab between each shot then dry patch. Just for kickers I tried the old commercial setup of 2 Pyrox pellets and the 240 gr. XTP with open sights to see what would happen. Would you believe it almost a dead center shot at 50 yards. Just like the commercial says. I was pretty impressed to say the least. I then tried 120 gr. 777 with the 240 gr. XTP using the scope at 50 yards. The shots ended up grouping 1" high above the bull. Needless to say I am quite pleased with the performance of my Encore and can' t wait till next weekend. Best of luck to you all.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:54 PM

After this early 3 day muzzleloader season I am going to try the 240 XTP' s. Thanks for the advice JCN. It' s funny you said that, because one thing I' ve noticed is that the XTP tip is smaller that the Hornady SST' s, making it unlikely that the ramrod will scar it as much as it does to the SST' s. I planned to trying the XTP' s anyway, but now I definitely will after reading your post.
Old 10-19-2003, 04:46 PM

Just wanted to tell you that you can get a brass adpter for your ramrod that is made for sabots. I got one because I noticed how it would deform -dent my powerbelts. this works great with the SST bullets. T/c makes it.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:02 PM

Pinesap, you and JCNinOKC hit the nail on the head in my other post. That hinge pin is so loose on my Encore that it HAS to be the problem. Now that I have some time before the next muzzleloader season I' m gonna find a pin that' s more snug so that I can feel 100% confident the next time I take my Encore hunting.

Happy hunting,
Jim