Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Decided on my hunting bullet

Old 05-21-2012, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

In every instance I have shot an animal with a muzzleloader I have never once said " I wish I would have used a smaller bullet".

I use a 460 gr bullet for everything, even varmints. When I hear the words " thor is the ultimate when it comes to conical " I kind of wonder how many game animals have you killed, and how many with each conical to compare them all? With the elk I have killed and helped guys get I have seen about 40 head of elk cross the rainbow bridge. I have seen things go wrong and things go right. I have never lost one. My comfort level is three part. First is accuracy, next is weight, a third would be a wide meplat to give some shock. I won't give up accuracy for weight. I do use the heaviest weight that is accurate in my rifle.

Does bullet weight make up for poor placement? Lest say you have a large bull quartering away. You have to aim farther back. You see in your mind the path the bullet must take. In some cases you might have to aim at the last rib to push the bullet into the lungs and heart. That is a case for a large well constructed bullet. The extra weight will be what helps push the bullet farther into the vitals.

Now a guy can go out and kill an elk with w 22 LR but it doesn't prove it is an elk rifle. Ron
Old 05-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

As is being proven daily in CF guns. The Barnes bullet is effective all out of proportion to it's size. No reason to think the Thor isn't the same.

There's something about those razor sharp petals spinning through an animal that kills them quick. 100% weight retention helps too.

I'm not sure when we started to think a 250gr bullet is small for elk? We aren't talking about primitive bullets. We're talking about premium bullets.

If I had any doubts the bullet couldn't do the job. I wouldn't use it. I never take chancy shots. My dad taught me better than that. Jon may freak out when he sees the shots I pass up. I go hunting for the challenge, and to enjoy the hunt. The kill is a bonus, so I don't take chances to get it.

The 250gr Thor will be fine.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by idahoron
In every instance I have shot an animal with a muzzleloader I have never once said " I wish I would have used a smaller bullet".

I use a 460 gr bullet for everything, even varmints. When I hear the words " thor is the ultimate when it comes to conical " I kind of wonder how many game animals have you killed, and how many with each conical to compare them all? With the elk I have killed and helped guys get I have seen about 40 head of elk cross the rainbow bridge. I have seen things go wrong and things go right. I have never lost one. My comfort level is three part. First is accuracy, next is weight, a third would be a wide meplat to give some shock. I won't give up accuracy for weight. I do use the heaviest weight that is accurate in my rifle.

Does bullet weight make up for poor placement? Lest say you have a large bull quartering away. You have to aim farther back. You see in your mind the path the bullet must take. In some cases you might have to aim at the last rib to push the bullet into the lungs and heart. That is a case for a large well constructed bullet. The extra weight will be what helps push the bullet farther into the vitals.

Now a guy can go out and kill an elk with w 22 LR but it doesn't prove it is an elk rifle. Ron
Let me reverse it on you Ron. Have you ever shot an animal with a Thor? I'll admit I haven't, but i'm willing to try. I have shot game with a CF Barnes, and was very impressed.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
A Jon may freak out when he sees the shots I pass up. I go hunting for the challenge, and to enjoy the hunt. The kill is a bonus, so I don't take chances to get it.
If its got horns, Its mine!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Antlers.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Let me reverse it on you Ron. Have you ever shot an animal with a Thor? I'll admit I haven't, but i'm willing to try. I have shot game with a CF Barnes, and was very impressed.
Thor's are not legal in Idaho. No sense in shooting something that isn't legal. Ron
Old 05-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Because of the copper?
Old 05-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Banned

yeah how does that make sense anyway? Its a better bullet material. I swear these guys that make laws have one fist up their butt and the other in mr.tax payers pocket.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe they're trying to stay primitive Jon.

Never a bad thing to me.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes because it is copper.
For a bullet to be legal in a ML here in Idaho it must be made of lead. It also must be within .010" of bore diameter. Sabots are illegal, pellets are illegal, 209 primers and centerfire primers are illegal. Scopes are only allowed IF the person has a doctor give them permission because of eyesight problems. The cap must also be exposed to the weather.

Most of the rifles that are on this forum are illegal in idaho. OUr rules are brought up by both F&G people and the public. Inlines were illegal a few years ago. Some stink was raised and the rule was dropped but an inline must still have an exposed cap.

Ron

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.