Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Renegade Interest?

Old 05-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default TC Renegade Interest?

From time to time I check this BP forum out and see the Renegades getting a lot of attention. Why is there a renewed interest in these guns? I have a .50 Cal that I have quit using since the inlines came along.

Jim
Old 05-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by redmag
From time to time I check this BP forum out and see the Renegades getting a lot of attention. Why is there a renewed interest in these guns? I have a .50 Cal that I have quit using since the inlines came along.

Jim
I have several of the Renegades both 50's and 54's... I have them because of the fact I just really like the simplicity of them. Not to mention that they really do shoot great even though I do not use them that much anymore. Another asset is they are not longer made and at some point may become collectible and show even a price increase.

3 of the Renegades that i do have are more less dedicated to shooting round balls for traditiona gatherings.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Dominant Buck

The Renegade is a meat and potatoes rifle that T/C had and should have never dropped from the line up. While it is not an inline, if loaded right, it goes off and is pretty accurate over all. Also they are built like a tank. If you take care of the barrel, the rifle will take care of you.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Red - there are a lot of us on this forum that rarely use inlines. I for one. I have one inline - an old Knight that I take out to the range once in a while to blow the dust out the bore. But for the most part I only shoot traditional rifles. Mostly T/C Hawkens with Green Mtn barrels of various calibers and twists. The Renegade is a no frills muzzy. No fancy shiny brass or patch box. It is a no nonsense shooter that will do whatever is asked of it with the right load.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

I should have added another line... if you own a Renegade that has been taken care of - you own the very best...
Old 05-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Renegades like these will out shoot most inlines. That is why the interest. Ron

Old 05-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Renegade is a good all around gun that's accurate and very reliable. You can also shoot it left or right handed with no problems from the stock.

I used a Renegade to hunt with last year, and will use an inline this year. They both work.

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 05-15-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

I haven't used mine in years, when I did it shot great. I think I was using 80 gr of loose pyrodex and the TC maxi hunter (I think that was it, 370 gr. pre-lubed bullet). It is a fine looking rifle. I didn't realize that there was still this much interest in the rifle with all the modern inlines.

Redmag (Jim)
Old 05-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Something about sidelocks that doesn't get old.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

I bought the three Renegades I have cheap because the barrels were badly rusted. Added Green Mountain barrels to all three and couldn't be more pleased with how they shoot.

Total cost with the new barrels ended up being about what a well cared for Renegade with a pristine factory barrel goes for. But I ended up with a .54 1:70 twist round ball shooter plus two sabot shooters - a .50 1:28" twist and a .45 1:30 twist. I could easily sell off all of my other muzzle loading rifles and live quite happily with that trio. NO WAIT! That's not true. I'd have to hang on to the .54 Great Plains flintlock to be happy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.