Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

This weather sucks

Old 05-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a room off the back of the family/wood stove room that leads outside. You can see it in that picture. Its 16X20 and is meant to be a mud room/coats and a place to get the snow off and to sit down. I store firewood in it. That way I don't have to go outside all winter long to get wood. Just go off the wood stove room and take what I need.

John for $45 I am guessing that's a face cord and not a logger cord.. I wouldn't start my saw either. Although it is a good way to burn off that winter pounds you seem to gather.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

My recent exercise equipment consisted of 20 sheets of cement board, several hundred screws, 17 boxes of 16x16 tiles, 4 bags of thinset and 2 bags of grout. Plus countless runs up and down the stairs to the tile saw.
Just finished laying the tiles today. Friday begins the grouting. Followed by 2 days of wiping down the tiles on hands and knees. Then lastly the grout sealer next week.
But come hell or high water, this guy is going shooting this weekend before I go nuts.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Wow... you have a lot of work to do. Do yourself a favor if you don't have any.. get a set of knee pads. It will save you a lot of pain and suffering. I have decided my scope for the tactical rifle comes tomorrow.. so I will split wood and stack tomorrow and hold off with the chain saw. Besides.. it needs to be sharpened I noticed at the end of today.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have them Dave. But the hard part is behind me. I only have the grouting left. I used to heat with wood. And its a true statement that wood heats you up twice. Once when you cut it and then again when you burn it! I wouldn't want you job at all.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

Woke up today to 32 degrees and snowing here.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Here Old Ma nature should be commited to a padded cell. 10 days over 70F in March 6 of which were at 80F or above. Every thing started blooming early including the bees but you can't do any thing with them cause there are no drones to mate the new queens with.
April arrives with more crazy weather nights well below freezing days in the 50 to 60F range and nary a drop of rain. Got to 22 F April 30th so any thing in bloom got killed Many of the trees are looseing their leaves from getting froze so bad.
finall May arrives with sort of normal weather except we are getting all the rain we didn't and should have in April. Try to split the colonies and make nucs and it weather allows a short warm spell so you can open the hive up, then it rains so the next day you twitling you thumbs waiting for it to dry out. another day your ready to go to work and there is a swarm some one calls about so you go collect them. Record setting 9.8 inches in 4 hours Rain again so getting to one of the yards is an adventure in mud bogging. First swarm was April 19th last one of 9 so far is May 13th.

I heat with wood too only mine comes from the woods out back. cut down all the dead Ash ya need for a whole winter in January. cut it up in manageable chunks then too. As time allows drag the splitter back ther and split a trailer load at a time. A weeks worth of wood comes in the furnace room at a time. Ashes are spread in the gardens unless a ice storm calls for there traction help.

Al
Old 05-16-2012, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

As far as rain or snow I'll take snow every time. Most of the time when it is snowing you can shoot and do other things with out getting soaked. When it is raining you can't do squat out side with out getting soaked. It is an indoor time.

Al