Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First time with the Lyman mold

Old 05-08-2012, 06:18 PM
Banned

I was wondering about the mold you used for the ingots LOL
Old 05-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's angle iron from an old bed frame. I cut them up with a hacksaw and my neighbor welded them together for me. Simple, cheap and effective. The ingots are about a pound and a half each.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Banned

yep 1lb 8oz. I weighted one earlier.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=Semisane;3936161] Not hardly Pluckit. More like three or four range sessions.

Like I said, personally, I'm not too fond of range sessions using a side lock and shooting Maxiballs. That delivers too much punishment to my shoulder. I got my Hawkins sighted in in one session and only shoot it when hunting after that. So let's say 20 to 30 shots max to sight in. leaving 90 to 100 for hunting at 2 or 3 shots per year. That equals out to about 30 to 40 years of Maxiballs. And that's when I hunted with it every year. And I use to, but since I have inlines to play with now, I never use the Hawkins anymore.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pluckit
I'm not too fond of range sessions using a side lock and shooting Maxiballs.
I got my Hawkins sighted in in one session and only shoot it when hunting after that. And that's when I hunted with it every year.
And I use to, but since I have inlines to play with now, I never use the Hawkins anymore.
pluckit,

You might as well send that poorly neglected and cast-aside Hawken to me before it develops "ugly sister syndrome" and refuses to shoot well....

BPS
Old 05-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's far from neglected BPS. It is lovingly cared for. The bore is oiled and the barrel removed and wiped down with an oiled rag on a regular basis. This was my first muzzle loader and has far too much sentimental value for me to ever part with it. I couldn't begin to tell you how many deer I have harvested with it. The first one with a round ball and every one after that with a 370 grain Maxiball, I simply put it into temporary retirement as I delve into the world of in line rifles and other caliber side locks.

Last edited by pluckit; 05-09-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pluckit
It's far from neglected BPS. It is lovingly cared for. The bore is oiled and the barrel removed and wiped down with an oiled rag on a regular basis. This was my first muzzle loader and has far too much sentimental value for me to ever part with it. I couldn't begin to tell you how many deer I have harvested with it. The first one with a round ball and every one after that with a 370 grain Maxiball, I simply put it into temporary retirement as I delve into the world of in line rifles and other caliber side locks.
I know where you're coming from pluckit, I never meant to imply that it's not lovingly cared for as I'm sure it is. I still have my first ML (a T/C Hawken .50) that my parents gave me for Xmas back in 1971 and I feel the same about it as you do yours. But don't you swear that sometimes when you get ready to head out with another gun that you can faintly hear it crying out... "Take me...please take me"....

BPS
Old 05-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Banned

Heres the new pot with the lyman maxiball mold. Great combo!

Old 05-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm NOT getting a flint lock and I'm NOT getting into casting my own bullets. THAT'S THAT!!!
Old 05-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Dominant Buck

I remember a little buck in particular that I shot with a .54 Renegade loaded with maxiball. I was shooting 70 grains of powder. He walked out all nervous looking. And was about 40 yards away. So I got the rifle up, cocked, and even the set trigger on. And darn if that buck did not start walking straight to me. He got about 20 yards from me and must have sensed something was wrong. So that buck turned to leave. But he turned broadside to me. After the smoke cleared I thought at first I missed him. I mean he disappeared that fast. What it was, he dropped like a stone in the tall grass. And to this day, I do not think it ever knew what hit it. That maxi took him higher in the shoulder then I figured, but the pressure it created.. blew his lungs out. He was dead when he hit the ground.

You are going to like them Gander. But you shoot them in a fast twist.. right?

Nice lead supply there Semisane.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.