Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

52 in the Rock Pit

Old 05-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
I just don't share that opinion Sabotloader. I don't think such gas cutting exists. With Teflon tape you may get the tape pushed back from the first thread or two, but nothing past that. If that's the case, the only real issue is crud build up in the gap left between the face of the plug and the plug stop, requiring a little extra cleaning care.
We will have to agree to disagree... Teflon tape or grease is no match for gas pressure with a route to escape. And with loose threads there will be a route.

As for the force of blow back on the threads, it seems to me it is the same whether the plug is snug or not. I know some guys stop screwing the plug as soon as it contacts the stop and do not tighten it down. In that case the mechanical situation is the same as a plug backed out a small bit.
If the threads are not tight they have lost a lot of their strength. Put a nut in a vise scew a bolt in the nut then hit the end of the bolt with a hammer many times. Do the same thing again with the bolt tightened against the nut with no movement - see which one last the longest. Actually ask the space shuttle guys what happens with loose bolts.

Are there any mechanical engineers out there? What are the force dynamics on a threaded bolt - tightened vs. untightened.
Threads were never meant to hold securely if they are not tightened - it doubles the strength vs. loose.

I suspect the critical factor is the number of threads in contact with each other, not pressure against a stop. Tightening a bolt is important so as to prevent it's loosening and backing out. But backing out is not really an issue in a muzzle loader, and clearly impossible with models such as Omegas, Knight Visions, and others where theres a breech face against the rear of the plug.
Actually Lehigh Dave found that after a certain number of threads - extra threads do not increase the strength of the tightened bolt.

I also think if you talk to any manufacturer they will tell you the BP snug - not loose.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Have you ever tried a shim between the face of the breech plug and the barrel shoulder rather than under the primer?
Old 05-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Banned

Just use a tiny round punch and peen the corners once its in the BP pocket.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
Have you ever tried a shim between the face of the breech plug and the barrel shoulder rather than under the primer?
Long ago been there done that...

But then you a moveable-looseable part that you have to keep track of, plus it makes it much more difficult to put Teflon tape on with a moving part.

The 0.248" shim is the best thing I have found... They also make a 0.174 shim with a larger choice is thicknesses to get the exact fit if you can not get it done with the 0.248 shim. Just put the 0.174 in first and then the 0.248 to hold it in place.

Once the 0.248 is inserted and pressed down it is not going anywhere.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Just use a tiny round punch and peen the corners once its in the BP pocket.
Not necessary Jon - you are putting a 0.248" OD shim in a 0.242-3 ID tube - it is press/friction fit. It will not go anywhere...

Let me see if I can get a picture to show....
Old 05-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

OK I think this will show.

I have installed the 0.248" OD shim in the chamfer of the primer pocket. That is a far as it will go without pressure to push it down to the primer shelf. A dead primer works very well as the punch to drive the shim to the bottom. As it goes down it compresses the ID of the inner circle a bit to fit the walls of the primer pocket.

Last edited by sabotloader; 05-06-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
That is why the .248 OD of these new shims is great... you have to press fit them in the pocket, remember the primer pocket is .242-3. They are there to stay. It would be really hard to get them out if you could get them out.
You got me thinking about this now, my 1/20 needs metal taken away not added.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
....................A dead primer works very well as the punch to drive the shim to the bottom..................
Cool! Trash to Tool.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

i use the stainless washer and put them on the primer self and they work well for me on one gun i have around 500 rounds on it and steel working very good and puts about .004 crush on the primer and very clean and goes off every time i pull the trigger and they stay put like sabot sayed have six knights done this way custom fit on every gun not all the same

Last edited by a1smokepole; 05-07-2012 at 09:02 PM.