Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Looking for a little guidance on a new BP for Colorado Elk season

Old 06-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

The FPB 350 shoots with excellent accuracy in all my TC guns, some conicals are said not to shoot well in TC guns but the FPB and the Thor if you get it sized right has been very accurate in all of them I personally know of. There were some a while back that got out with an off center QLA and caused them to have a drop in reputation. I agree with the person that recommended the Triumph and the FPB, normally they will shoot with good accuracy with 90 grains of Blackhorn you may have to adjust up or down a bit for the particular gun this is true of all muzzle loaders, I clean the oil out of the barrel or fire a shot before hunting , also normally if you use 777 you will have to swab before loading every shot to get any accuracy. I would also put a good hunting peep on that Triumph and sight it in for 150 yards.
If you chose to use one of those massive chunks of lead with a rainbow trajectory then look for one of the White rifles as they are the best for that.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a friend that is shooting a soft lead 350 grain HP Gould bullet out of his White .451 rifles with excellent accuracy. I would guess the ballistics of this bullet would be as good as the 350 grain FPB or darn close to it. The rainbow trajectories really aren't that much of a factor with any of the lead conicals unless you are really trying to reach out there 125yards plus and even then they are repeatable trajectories that can be learned, practiced and dealt with.