Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Looking for a little guidance on a new BP for Colorado Elk season

Old 05-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I got rid of that one, because I didn't like a flintlock.

The one that hurt to get rid of was a Renegade .54 with a GM barrel. That was a shooter.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Spike

I've actually got two Hawken's and I love them! I use them on primitive weapons only type deer hunts and I've killed a bunch with them. However, I'm not sure I'd put a big bull on the line with one of those guns when some of the inlines are an option. I consider a good group with my Hawken 3 or 4" at 75 yards. Of course, a sharpshooter I am not!

I think I'd go with what some of the others have suggested. I've got a Knight disc extreme as well and if I was going after Elk with open sights, that's what I'd be taking. My disc is a tack driver.

I just wish I could shoot open sights like I used to. Something about old eyes...
Old 06-29-2012, 09:39 AM
Spike

Have done some more research on my next Black Powder.

Traditions™ Vortek™ Ultra Light Cerakote/Black Northwest Magnum

Seems like a nice gun and not a bad price. Does anyone have any expeience with this one that is not posted yet?

(used the search and did not find much)

Thanks for any thoughts and replies
Old 06-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Spike

Default Vortek UL

I bought a Vortek UL this year for my upcoming CO Elk hunt. Shoots FPB's with Blackhorn really well. Want to use 350gr, but so far better groups with the 300. I did have some ignition problems but think I have them straightened out. May have been residual oil. I also added an O-ring to the primer pocket to totally eliminate blow by past the primer. Gun is light, cleans easy, handles well, and shoots great. I added a Peep Rib sight so I can easily throw the scope on to evaluate loads, that was also a good investment.
Brian.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:17 AM
Spike

I added a Peep Rib sight so I can easily throw the scope on to evaluate loads, that was also a good investment.
That sounds like a good idea. What peep did you use? was it this one

http://www.eabco.com/store/products/...it-2116-0.html
Old 06-29-2012, 11:23 AM
Banned

why would you go with the northwest model when its an exposed ignition can only use either #11 or musket caps?

Really limiting yourself with that set up IMO.

I have the regular vortek ultralight ldr and i love it, does amazing with blackhorn209 and thor conicals as well as hornady fpb conicals, rubber o ring in the breech plug for me as well and zero blow by.

I will still most likely shoot either my cva wolf or cva optima though come hunting season.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Banned

by the way, heres an LDR for $260,
http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com...ights-for-sale
Old 06-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Spike

by the way, heres an LDR for $260,
http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com...ights-for-sale
Thanks that looks like a good deal. Now I got to work some more OT to make enough to get there.

with any luck it will be there in a couple of weeks.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Spike

why would you go with the northwest model
Thought maybe headed to other states at some point??? But it looked like the only one that came with sites out of the box.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Spike

That is the peep sight I bought, the one tradeoff off you have to make is it requires extra high rings to clear the peep, at least on my gun, but it works out fine. I have never shot a peep before but the first day out I was shooting 2" groups at 50 yds.
I got the Thor sizing sample, but really didn't care for how any of them loaded. I did resize them all to .502 but haven't tried shooting them. maybe this weekend. FPB will do fine, plus they are locally readily available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.