Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting USA

Old 03-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Banned

Default Shooting USA

Was watching a pretty decent muzzle loading show on shooting USA and they had a mixture of traditional and inline stuff. The inline stuff was pretty skimpy and basically said you should be able to get at least a 2 inch group with todays inline muzzle loader with an assortment of projectiles. Also talked about pellets - loose powder and that you should clean the bore between shots.

They show the guy sighting in his muzzy and getting good groups @ 100 yards and then the last shot he took i noticed something was 3/4 missing :lol:
Old 03-30-2012, 04:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, I had a CVA Optima Pro and the sight was cracked when I bought it. An easy fix though. Just called CVA and they sent me a piece of the fiber optic. You just heat an end and make a tiny button so it won't come through the hole, push the piece through the holes, cut it about 1/16" past the last hole, heat and make a a button on that side.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

The problem with making a button is you're making the sight bigger. I use super glue.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, i don't believe you are correct. When using the fiber optic sight, one doesn't see the button. What you see is the light transmitted through the fiber. What is seen is the diameter of the fiber whether or not there is a knob. The knob doesn't play a roll in what the eye sees whilst sighting.

Also, using super glue is detrimental. The glue interferes with the light getting into the fiber optic, thus the sight doesn't appear as sharp or bright.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not sure why light wouldn't show through the button? Not that important to find out. FO sights are still blurry for me. I sort of line up the blurry colors.

Not sure a spec of super glue would even have time to penetrate. If it does penetrate at all.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:11 AM
Banned

I normally use a butter knife and heat it up and lightly touch both ends. It does swell them slightly but nothing thats horrible mind you.

Time to take ol Slapper out and try some 250gr Thors in her with 90gr 2f Goex. Pretty sunny out so i most likely will just shoot 75 yards and see how she does.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Not sure why light wouldn't show through the button? Not that important to find out. FO sights are still blurry for me. I sort of line up the blurry colors.

Not sure a spec of super glue would even have time to penetrate. If it does penetrate at all.
Light does show through the button. It needs to show through the button. When one aim the rifle using them sights what one 'sees' is the light coming through the fiber optic tube of the front sight, and through the button(s). This light has the diameter of the tube that is the front sight. The button isn't seen. The button is just some bigger than the tube itself. The tube of light is what is seen. Done correctly, the button will still be smaller than the outside of the steel parts that hold the fiber optic tube in place, but larger than the id of the steel component. The eye doesn't see the button, it sees the 'tube' of light transmitted by the fiber optic.

The super glue doesn't necessarily penetrate the fiber optic; it coats it. Coating the fiber optic tube makes it not so transparent on the ends, and dulls what one 'see' when sighting. It also hinders light from entering the sides of the tube.

The super glue bond will eventually fail. The button, if done correctly won't fail, unless it is banged/busted. The super glue bond will eventually fail.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I never keep a gun long enough for that.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Banned

Thats one thing i love about that hiviz set up i bought, you can change out the front sight easily if it breaks!
Old 03-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

The heating and forming the button is how I was told to do it from CVA tech. And the fiber just fit thru the holes in the sight so the button does not have to be very large. Just slightly larger than the normal diameter of the FO.
Anyway, I normally put white out on my red fiber optic sights. Reason is the same as Muleys. The red appears to be a blur or double image for use old farts with poorer eyesight than our younger counterparts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.