Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Trying to decide.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Trying to decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Pluckit,

Are you looking for a .32? Flint or Percussion?

BPS
I'm trying to decide.
I have been saying for some time now that I was going to get a Green mountain barrel in .58 caliber. I think before that I was saying I was going to get one in a .54 caliber but then I went and purchased the .54 caliber Traditions Deerhunter kit. I really would like to have a .58 caliber but it seems to me that I have enough guns to shoot and hunt deer with for now. So I have been giving the .32 caliber some thought for squirrel hunting and some plinking fun. The .32 caliber Green Mountain barrel in percussion is hard to find. Or should I say, I can't find one. So for about $70.00 more I can get a complete rifle by getting a traditions Deerhunter in a .32 caliber. That's why I had the questions about .32 caliber rifles. The .32 caliber Traditions Deerhunter has a 24 inch 1 in 48 inch twist barrel. I am having problems finding a good round ball load for my .54 caliber Deerhunter and so was wondering about barrel lengths and round balls with a .32 caliber. Just something for me to think about I guess.
Has anyone ever shot any .32 caliber Maxiballs out of their .32 caliber rifle?
P.S. Blackpowdersmoke,
I have to stay away from flintlocks for now. I'm afraid that would get me into a whole new world of trouble that I'm not ready to afford at this time.

Last edited by pluckit; 03-29-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought some from a guy at a show some years back, but that little Firehawk shoots a round ball so well, I figured.. why bother? I have never tried them in the Blue Ridge rifle. Have you considered looking at the Traditions Crockett rifle?

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 03-29-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's just a little too expensive for me.