Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Science project report (long)

Old 03-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Great post WV Hunter. Like most of the guys here I've seen my fair share of school science fair projects. The effort you son put into conducting and documenting that experiment is way above most anything I've seen. If the HNI forum guys could be on the judging panel he would get the gold for sure.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Typical Buck

WV Hunter,

Very nice test. It's nice to see that your sons school let him do a gun related project.

Here is a .400 200gr SST which left the muzzle around 2500fps. I recovered it on the offside shoulder on a Maryland whitetail shot at around 130yds. It either weighed 140 or 160gr recovered.

Might want to tell the teacher to look here for positive feedback.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by arcticap
A very interesting report and I can appreciate all of the work that went into it.
But I'm more impressed by the result of the Sierra 300 grain FP's that weighed 283 grains
after being fired as shown in post #9.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/3924093-post9.html

As the Bloodline article explains,

That result could be beneficial for penetrating a very large thick skinned animal like a big bear or buffalo.
That was also my thinking too. Those plus the Lehighs would provide deep penetration. I was impressed that my cast 320 gr REALs performed so well. I might have to work up an accurate hunting load for them in one of my .50s.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by arcticap
A very interesting report and I can appreciate all of the work that went into it.
But I'm more impressed by the result of the Sierra 300 grain FP's that weighed 283 grains
after being fired as shown in post #9.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/3924093-post9.html

As the Bloodline article explains,

That result could be beneficial for penetrating a very large thick skinned animal like a big bear or buffalo.
I agree that they should provide great penetration...and for what you described, may do well. However, now that I understand what sabotloader posted about the Lehighs, imo that seems like it would be a better option than the Sierra's for large thick skinned game.

On 'regular' game, I personally would not choose the Sierra's...I'd rather have a bullet with a little more expansion.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Omega45
WV Hunter,

Very nice test. It's nice to see that your sons school let him do a gun related project.

Here is a .400 200gr SST which left the muzzle around 2500fps. I recovered it on the offside shoulder on a Maryland whitetail shot at around 130yds. It either weighed 140 or 160gr recovered.

Might want to tell the teacher to look here for positive feedback.
Looks like good performance for sure. Just as with the Knight bullet I recovered...yours did well in real world performance.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I was impressed that my cast 320 gr REALs performed so well. I might have to work up an accurate hunting load for them in one of my .50s.
I was totally impressed with those REALs...they did great. I would certainly work a load up...they should be a great hunting round. In all, the all lead bullets performed very well, and the big lead was outstanding. Thanks again for sending them to test
Old 03-26-2012, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Great post WV Hunter. Like most of the guys here I've seen my fair share of school science fair projects. The effort you son put into conducting and documenting that experiment is way above most anything I've seen. If the HNI forum guys could be on the judging panel he would get the gold for sure.
Thanks for the kind words Semi. He enjoyed the project, and learned alot too. I guess we'll find out how he does on Friday
Old 03-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great report! Very interesting, and I can see a lot of work went into it. It must have been a lot of fun to do as well. Tests like this are a good way to have some sort of "baseline" for comparing different bullets. Bullet performance on live game however, may vary....

I was also impressed by the performance of the big lead bullets. I think with any of those options you will have no trouble with any sort of game in the lower 48....
Old 03-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great report WV! I'm happy to see how the Speer .44cal/240gr bullets performed. Dollar for performance value can't be beat.

Not too surprised at the .50cal/250gr Speer. That crazy deep hollow point has always concerned me a bit. You could do shots out of it.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hubby11
Great report WV! I'm happy to see how the Speer .44cal/240gr bullets performed. Dollar for performance value can't be beat.

Not too surprised at the .50cal/250gr Speer. That crazy deep hollow point has always concerned me a bit. You could do shots out of it.
Yeah, the 240 deep curls were amazing. The pics don't do it justice... I swear they are almost completely inside out. And all that without losing hardly any weight. Very impressive.

Thanks again for sending some to test, appreciate it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.