Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Knight

Old 03-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Spike

Default Black Knight

I see alot of the Black Knights for sale that go real cheap, usually between $100 and $125. Being Knights, these should be reliable good shooting guns right. I think they are cap ignition which would make them legal here in Washington. The muzzleload hunters are starving for legal cap guns in this state and love the knight bighorn. I was thinking about pointing some of my friends towards some of these cheaper Knights. I also see good deals on LK-ll's and American Knights.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

The BK 92 was a great rifle. The have birch stocks that were painted to look like a composite stock. I have a 54 that is a great shooting rifle. It is hard to tell but this rifle in this picture is a BK 92. Ron

Old 03-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

This antelope was shot with my BK 92. He used a Hornady Great plains bullet. Ron

Old 03-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by idahoron
The BK 92 was a great rifle. The have birch stocks that were painted to look like a composite stock. I have a 54 that is a great shooting rifle. It is hard to tell but this rifle in this picture is a BK 92. Ron

OMG Thats a pig!!! Can I be your hunting buddy? I have hunted Idaho a couple of times for mule deer. My son and I even drew the coveted unit 40 but we never saw bucks even close to that hog. Did you get that in a draw unit? I have seen other bucks you have posted that you got with your muzzies, all of them dandies. Any little pointer you could send my way would much appreciated.

Oh back to your comment on the BK92, I assume BK stands for black knight. I am looking at a LK11 with a SS barrel and TH composite stock for $125.00 plus shipping, seems like a steal to me.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

My first ML was a BK92. It is still one of the best. I have a MK85 which is a nicer rifle in the fact that the parts are all more expensive and higher quality. The trigger on the BK is a Timney copy while the trigger on the MK is a real Timney. it is impossible for me to tell the difference in the two trigger pulls.

One part that is noticeably lower quality on the BK is the sights. They are plastic front and rear. They are so cheap as to be nearly unusable. Williams Gunsite sells drop in replacements that are identical to the MK85. You can also opt for an excellent Williams peep sight as well. (Made in the USA just like the rest of the riflle). One seemingly cheap part on the BK that may actually be better than the MK is the ram rod thimble. The part is plastic on the BK. I find this quieter and more suitable than the metal thimble on the MK. I have even thought of changing the metal one on my MK, I just can't bring myself to actually doing it!

I have taken more deer with my BK than any other firearm including center fire rifle and shotgun. I will use my MK85 for fair weather hunting this fall. But when it gets rainy or snowy out, the BK will get the nod again.

My BK loves 300 grain .429 caliber XTP bullets in the green smooth sabot. It will consistently put them in a 4" group at 100 yards with open sights. Back when I had a scope on it, it would group the same bullet/sabot combo inside 2" at 100 yards. The longest shot I every took at a deer was 100 yards (paced off) with the BK.

This is all rather long winded, but I would tell you that the old BK92 is a good rifle. I also see them NIB for $125 to $150. Mine is not NIB, but it has a lot of good memories in those scratches and scars...and it is not for sale!
Old 03-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Washatonian
OMG Thats a pig!!! Can I be your hunting buddy? I have hunted Idaho a couple of times for mule deer. My son and I even drew the coveted unit 40 but we never saw bucks even close to that hog. Did you get that in a draw unit? I have seen other bucks you have posted that you got with your muzzies, all of them dandies. Any little pointer you could send my way would much appreciated.

Oh back to your comment on the BK92, I assume BK stands for black knight. I am looking at a LK11 with a SS barrel and TH composite stock for $125.00 plus shipping, seems like a steal to me.

Ya that buck came from a draw hunt. The best pointer I have is if you want to shoot a big one, don't shoot a little one. Seems kind of silly but a guy has to pass up the little ones. Next good optics and a lot of luck at drawing a good tag. Ron
Old 03-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Dutch

One part that is noticeably lower quality on the BK is the sights. They are plastic front and rear. They are so cheap as to be nearly unusable.

The part is plastic on the BK. I find this quieter and more suitable than the metal thimble on the MK. I have even thought of changing the metal one on my MK, I just can't bring myself to actually doing it!

My BK loves 300 grain .429 caliber XTP bullets in the green smooth sabot. It will consistently put them in a 4" group at 100 yards with open sights. Back when I had a scope on it, it would group the same bullet/sabot combo inside 2" at 100 yards. The longest shot I every took at a deer was 100 yards (paced off) with the BK.

This is all rather long winded, but I would tell you that the old BK92 is a good rifle. I also see them NIB for $125 to $150. Mine is not NIB, but it has a lot of good memories in those scratches and scars...and it is not for sale!

My BK is one of the very first ones. The sights on mine are metal and the thimble is also metal. My rifle liked the 300 gr lead 45 cal in the red sabot. I shot sub 4" groups at 200 yards with that load.
I don't use the gun much any more I mostly keep it around to load it out. Ron