Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Mountaineer or Triumph?

Old 02-27-2012, 08:55 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by builder459
10-4since were on the subject,the fact knight didn't offer camo synthetic stocks and blue barrels is another factor that would keep me and others from buying one.laminated stocks are nice to look at,but i prefer synthetic as many others do.
That have to agree with you. I wanted a 52 mountaineer but could not get one with a camo synthetic stock so I bought a nib 52 disc in camo from someone .

Old 02-27-2012, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

I own a Triumph and love it. I'm also eyeing a Mountaineer for the future!

The Triumph is light and handles well in heavy cover and for tree stand hunting, its great. Although guys shoot heavy charges out of their Triumphs, I find it to light, with to much muzzle jump. If I were hunt more open territory, where shots would 200 yard+, I would want the Mountaineer. Just me.

Besides isn't the Mountaineer rated for 150gr of BH209?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Typical Buck

I have had a Triumph and they are a good rifle, but I'm just not a fan of the break action. I like the bolt and a little heavier rifle for stability. I also like the stainless on the barrel and the action. I prefer a synthetic but love the looks of laminated stocks. I just think that the Knight is a better all around gun. To me, it handles like no other. Either way, you need to get your hands on each and make the decision on it. I do think you will see the difference in workmanship very quickly.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Spike

You guys have been a tremendous help. Even with all the reading I've done, I've learned more on this thread. I believe I will go with the mountaineer.

That being said, any recommendation on the best source to buy one? I seem to remember reading they can be had for less than listed on Knight's website from other places.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I own the Mountaineer. It is easy for me to install a primer. I do it by using my trigger finger, and hold the primer against the bolt. It is easy for me to remove the primer; i just shake, and they fall into my hand. It is easy to clean. The bolt nor the trigger area ever never get fouling. I have only used W209 primer. The trigger is excellent,.................er perhaps better than excellent. I have no idea what you meant, when you asked 'is it worth the extra trouble?' Myself, i am ignorant of 'extra trouble'. The rifle is heavy and long. It is about a pound heavier than the weight given on the web site. The weight in the 2012 catalog is about right. Being an old retired carpenter, i am quite partial to wood, and the stock is a thing of beauty to my eyes and hands. The wood stock feels good on my face and is a very high comb. It recoils straight back though, and doesn't hurt my face. I have carried it about 2 mile whilst hiking, and it wasn't too bad to pack in the timber for that distance. A 5 mile hike might make it seem too too heavy. I really really enjoy shooting this rifle, cleaning it, and putting it to bed.

I own the Triumph. It carries well; shoots well. Trigger is good with zero creep. It has a very high comb, and hurts my face when i shoot it. I despise the breech plug. I plan to never own another.

These rifles are about equally accurate. It is possible i may own another Mountaineer one day, if it is available in a fast twist 45 caliber. It is very unlikely, i will ever own another Triumph.

The rifle i have taken with me just about every where i go during hunting season, is the Omega X7.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
I own the Mountaineer. It is easy for me to install a primer. I do it by using my trigger finger, and hold the primer against the bolt. It is easy for me to remove the primer; i just shake, and they fall into my hand. It is easy to clean. The bolt nor the trigger area ever never get fouling. I have only used W209 primer. The trigger is excellent,.................er perhaps better than excellent. I have no idea what you meant, when you asked 'is it worth the extra trouble?' Myself, i am ignorant of 'extra trouble'.
Thank you Ron!

You addressed most all of my original concerns! I guess the "extra trouble" was a result of a few posts I read. For example, the "Josh" thread and another of pink vs white teflon tape. I also I saw a picture of a leather strap a guy made just for inserting the primer as it was rather difficult with a scope mounted on the rifle. Your comments are just what I was hoping to hear as I really didnt' want to buy a T/C!
Old 02-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers
Thank you Ron!

You addressed most all of my original concerns! I guess the "extra trouble" was a result of a few posts I read. For example, the "Josh" thread and another of pink vs white teflon tape. I also I saw a picture of a leather strap a guy made just for inserting the primer as it was rather difficult with a scope mounted on the rifle. Your comments are just what I was hoping to hear as I really didnt' want to buy a T/C!
I made that little leather capper device for the Mountaineer. I find it useful when hunting in really cold weather and if I might have a glove on. It just makes it a bit easier in the rotten weather or when in a real hurry. With the leather strap it is also very easy to find a 209 in your pocket. I never really use the capper while at the range and the only time I used it hunting this year was to take it out of my pocket and pull a 209 out of the leather with my fingers and insert it in the bolt face.