Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Mountaineer or Triumph?

Old 02-27-2012, 02:48 AM
Typical Buck

"The ML probably won't get used a whole lot " With that being said I would go with the Triumph. The money saved could buy a nice scope to finish off the package. Also you might want to look at CVA's. Ron and others on here are putting up some nice 200yd groups.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:58 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Semisane
Hey there Geaux Tigers. Welcome to the Black Powder forum. Your name says "Loosianna Boy". You from the Pelican State?
I am...Shreveport!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:13 AM
Spike

[QUOTE=sabotloader;3915727]One bullet that I use that has really been accurate for me is the Lehigh/Bloodline .458-275 gr. DOA. To me it is a great all-around bullet and has great 'terminal ballstics'

This is a post I put up sometime back shooting my Mountaineer in the Rock Pit..QUOTE]

Nice post and great shooting. Looking at the ballistics info on Knight's website for this bullet, the energy at 200 yds using 120 grains of Triple 7 pellets, is about 740 ft/lbs. Is there a difference with the powder you used?

According to the same chart, using 120 grains of Blackhorn it is a little over 1,000 ft/lbs. Have you tried BH with this bullet?
Old 02-27-2012, 06:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

[quote=Geaux Tigers;3915788]
Originally Posted by sabotloader
One bullet that I use that has really been accurate for me is the Lehigh/Bloodline .458-275 gr. DOA. To me it is a great all-around bullet and has great 'terminal ballstics'

This is a post I put up sometime back shooting my Mountaineer in the Rock Pit..QUOTE]

Nice post and great shooting. Looking at the ballistics info on Knight's website for this bullet, the energy at 200 yds using 120 grains of Triple 7 pellets, is about 740 ft/lbs. Is there a difference with the powder you used?

According to the same chart, using 120 grains of Blackhorn it is a little over 1,000 ft/lbs. Have you tried BH with this bullet?
The only difference is that I was using T7 loose powder. I have never found pellets to be as consistent as loose powder. If you were to weigh the individual pellets in a box I think you would understand.

I have used BH but because of the price per shot, I do not see enough advantage to make the switch. And do not get me wrong BH is a great powder.

This is a copy of a velocity comparison test I did between the two powders. I am shooting close to 3000 feet in elvation also so that will effect velocity somewhat. Ignore the line that says the sabot was a Blue 4050 sabot that is an error from the previous test using a 45 cal rifle. I will throw in the same typ of chart that I did for a 45 cal gun also. It is actually more complete than is the 50 Chart

This ballistic sheet was computed from velocities atained with 120 grains of T7-2f

Last edited by sabotloader; 02-27-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

My choice would be the Triumph, with it's lighter weight,shorter length,easy BP removal and ease of cleaning.not to mention there excellent accuracy straight out of the box.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Triumph is the best T/C makes. The Mountaineer is the best Knight makes. The Knight Mountaineer is made at alot tighter tolerances then the Triumph. They are both very good, but the Mountaineer is better. You wont go wrong with either one.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:40 AM
1874sharpsshooter

I have both the triumph and the mountaineer. Both are very nice . I would take the mountaineer. Of the individuals who have both it seems the Mountaineer comes in first. People who only have a Triumph have no basis of comparison, they can only recommend the triumph. Then there are the others who have neither and still recommend one . That's interesting. I guess the choice would be made based on which company the person dislikes the most or on comments made by others but not based on experience.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
I have both the triumph and the mountaineer. Both are very nice . I would take the mountaineer. Of the individuals who have both it seems the Mountaineer comes in first. People who only have a Triumph have no basis of comparison, they can only recommend the triumph. Then there are the others who have neither and still recommend one . That's interesting. I guess the choice would be made based on which company the person dislikes the most or on comments made by others but not based on experience.
My friend my comments were based on facts,the triumph is indeed lighter,easier to remove the BP and clean,it is also shorter in length, i do not need to hold a mountaineer in my hands to know these things. break action rifles are vastly more popular for many reasons,which is why i own a triumph and not a Mountaineer.and for the record i do not dislike knight rifles i own one

Last edited by builder459; 02-27-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:10 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by builder459
My friend my comments were based on facts,the triumph is indeed lighter,easier to remove the BP and clean,it is also shorter in length, i do not need to hold a mountaineer in my hands to know these things. break action rifles are vastly more popular for many reasons,which is why i own a triumph and not a Mountaineer.and for the record i do not dislike knight rifles i own one
I wasn't responding to your post , just making a general observation , I have read a lot of recommendations lately while looking at guns and that was one prevailing thing I noticed so I mentioned it in this thread. Wasn't directed at any one persons post

Old 02-27-2012, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
I wasn't responding to your post , just making a general observation , I have read a lot of recommendations lately while looking at guns and that was one prevailing thing I noticed so I mentioned it in this thread. Wasn't directed at any one persons post
10-4since were on the subject,the fact knight didn't offer camo synthetic stocks and blue barrels is another factor that would keep me and others from buying one.laminated stocks are nice to look at,but i prefer synthetic as many others do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.