Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The end results to a muzzleloader hunt

Old 02-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default The end results to a muzzleloader hunt

VENISON JERKY

Just bought my smoker, Yesterday morning and have already seasoned and made my first smoke jerky, with it. Bought some Teriyaki jerky mix and cure and some hickory bisquettes. Mixed and with 2lbs. of ground venison carefully trimmed before ground and set if fridge overnight to merinate. Woke this morning and it was time to get the show on the road. I got the smoker preheated and the smoke generator going. Why that was warming I took the venison from the fridge, I do not have a jerky shooter or sausage maker to make it perfect. But, I took a small amount of meat at a time and rolled it between the counter and my hand untill it was the desired size. Then placed on the rack, by this time the smoker is ready to go so, I put the meat in. Set the temp to 170 for 6 hours and the smoke for 2.25 hours.

First my smoker

Jerky as it is going in

And the delicious finished product

I have to say this stuff is just amazing!!! Just a wonderfull flavor of smoke hickory and teriyaki....
Old 02-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

yummmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 02-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Now that looks good. That is a nice smoker. How much meat will that one hold?

I never thought of just rolling it between my hands the the table. But then, I have a Jerky shooter (I seldom use) and a smoker. I like to cut the stuff into thin strips of meat, marinate for up to but no more then two days in the refrigerator and then smoke it. But I seldom make it anymore. I have to watch what I eat very closely, and that kind of stuff in the house is just too much temptation to go off the diet.

The last time I made a few bags of it, my nephews visited and you'd of swore there was a feeding frenzies going on. I watched three young boys devour an entire three pound bag of jerky in one day. And a 12 pack of Diet Pepsi to wash it all down.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

We are all coming over!
Old 02-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

Dave, It doesn't say anywhere in the owners manual about how much it will hold. I have seen guys talking about having 4 pork butt's on at once, that would have to be close to 25-35lbs. I know it has alot of room.

It is my first smoker and I think I will be having alot of fun with it. But, like you I am having to watch what I eat. The temptation on the deer jerky is killing me but, i have done well, I have only had 1pc. in the 5hours it has been done. I gave alot to my nephew and dad and only kept 4 sticks for myself.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man that thing looks awesome! Custom sticks, I like it!
Old 02-01-2012, 03:00 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Atta boy Boone! I just got a Bradley 6 rack too! The very first thing I smoked was a venison roast - marinated a bit in teryaki - a few added spices, wrapped in bacon and with Hickory smoke. It was so-so and I was kinda disapointed - but the next day - once it had chilled in the fridge, and sliced thin, with just a hint of Mayo/horseradish sauce, - man - it was to die for!

So far I have tired mesquite and that is okay smoke and am partial more to Applewood......and I like the Mountain series cracked pepper n garlic jerky kit with a tad cayane added.......man its good jerky......

Good luck with your smoker! Sure like mine and am looking to add a 4 rack at my camp as I can see it used a ton!

Dave.........JW
Old 02-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JW
Atta boy Boone! I just got a Bradley 6 rack too! The very first thing I smoked was a venison roast - marinated a bit in teryaki - a few added spices, wrapped in bacon and with Hickory smoke. It was so-so and I was kinda disapointed - but the next day - once it had chilled in the fridge, and sliced thin, with just a hint of Mayo/horseradish sauce, - man - it was to die for!

So far I have tired mesquite and that is okay smoke and am partial more to Applewood......and I like the Mountain series cracked pepper n garlic jerky kit with a tad cayane added.......man its good jerky......

Good luck with your smoker! Sure like mine and am looking to add a 4 rack at my camp as I can see it used a ton!

Dave.........JW
JW

You get a chance try the pecan wood with venison, it is something special..... My buddy turned me onto it and is the reason, I bought the Bradley.

I am going to do a Brisket and pork butt this weekend with alternating hickory and apple bisquettes. It sounds good, anyway
Old 02-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

That looks super. Last year we made some sliced jerky out of a couple roasts and that was really good too.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:13 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Hey thanks and right now Gander Mnt has a 15% sale on Bradley assessories......so a trip to GM is in order.......I know they had Cherry and will look for Pecan....

And I bought most of my wood chips online as I Googled for discounts........

I also cold smoked some Sharp Cheddar cheese - why I bought it as we can cold smoke.....Yum!

thanks
Dave....JW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.