Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

3-10x40 Powder Horn Muzzleloader Scope

Old 01-31-2012, 04:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Default 3-10x40 Powder Horn Muzzleloader Scope

I just want to report that I got my Cabela's Powder Horn 3-10x40 BDC scope today. My initial observations are good. I was playing with it looking into the woods today. Not on a rifle mind you. They claim a 3.75 eye relief, but I swear if seemed more then that. Maybe once on a rifle all that will change.

What impressed me was the clarity of the glass. I could look far into the woods and not have any scope shifting on the edges. Also the straight line BDC seem to show up real well. Now this is a muzzle loader scope. So it should be exciting to get that mounted up.

Then as the sun was going down, I took the scope outside and was looking into the woods. The snow on the ground of course helped. But again, I was impressed with the clarity of the glass and the way I could look into the woods and at the brush piles.

I am looking forward to getting it on a rifle and doing some shooting. I want to see if the BDC is close. Also I want to pound this scope and see if it will stand up. Being a $49.99 scope on sale.. it should be an interesting test for the scope.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Dave you already know I have one it has been mounted and used on two different Knights... right now it is on a Mountaineer and was used all season during the hunting season this year and and on a DISC ELite for hunting season two years ago.

You also already know that I do not spare the powder and the scope has been shot over and over at the range with full bore powder.

It has been a 'rock' Hope it continues to be for you and me...

And yep! the glass is very good.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I almost bought one a few years ago when Cabela's had em on sale, they usually go for around $100 or so, but I thought for the money mabey it was'nt that great so I got a Bushnell Dusk to Dawn ML Scope is Mossy Oak for $89, it has turned out to be my second best scope ever.
Let us know how she works when you finall get her mounted, as Sabotloader said she should be worth the money.
(BP)
Old 01-31-2012, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like a good one, I wonder who makes it for Cabela's?
Old 01-31-2012, 07:25 PM
Dominant Buck

I have looked over the box and directions, and there is no indication of who makes them other then all warranty work goes to Cabela's.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:16 AM
Typical Buck

I just bought one on NIB Ebay for $68. Thought I was getting a deal as the they usually go for $100 +. I just checked the Cabelas site and they're still $49.99. Not my best move but what can you do.

I have one on my Omega and love it. I've never tested the BDC but like it for clarity and eye relief.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:17 AM
Fork Horn

Why do I read these posts now I had to order one not bad with cabelas pts I had it cost me $30.00. I had a powderhorn scope on a Traditions muzzie I owned and I had no problems with it at all . Im gonna put it on my Knight elite because Im not crazy about the Simmons I have on it now ,which was on a cf rifle at one time which I changed out. It will give me an excuse to resight in the Knight.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also picked one of these up from Cabelas a couple weeks ago. Or one similar. I believe the one I got was only 3-9x. I'll have to go look for sure. But it was a $100 scope in the bargain cave for $49. As I looked it over I was also pretty excited about the clarity and apparent quality for the price.
I still need to find a decent set of QR rings before I mount it up. And decide if it's going on the Encore or Contender.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

dave: you talk me into one
and free shipping over 50.00 I added a nice pistol 13" soft case for the ROA with the 7 1/2" barrel makes the scope a sweeter deal

Last edited by lonewolf5348; 02-01-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:17 AM
Dominant Buck

We will see what happens once I get it mounted and start shooting. I do have high expectations for the scope. And for that price, it sure makes for a nice rifle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.