Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Am I the only one

Old 01-21-2012, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default Am I the only one

That dislikes the looks of current CVA rifles? Especially the Accura and the Optima. I really like my Kodiak, as it feels like my centerfire rifles. Also love the tradtional models (Hawken etc) just can't get used to these weird looking models.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Smokey - I too love the look and feel of a traditional rifle, But in all honesty, even though I use the Hawken styles for most of my hunting, I own one inline, an old Knight, but I am seriously contemplating getting a CVA Accura. I previously owned an Optima and it was a great shooter. I much prefer the accessability of a break open type ML opposed to the bolt or plunger style.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:52 AM
Spike

Default I'm with you.

Originally Posted by smokey92
That dislikes the looks of current CVA rifles? Especially the Accura and the Optima. I really like my Kodiak, as it feels like my centerfire rifles. Also love the tradtional models (Hawken etc) just can't get used to these weird looking models.
I like the look and feel of the traditional style rifle.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

Smokey92,
I must admit I do not like the looks of the Accura Ver. 2; I think its that Knurled QR breechplug. I have the Accura Ver. 1 and I do like the looks of it. It doesn't have the warm charm of my more traditional looking rifles; but it does look good to me. I guess I have different levels of Good Looking; it doesn't have to be beautiful or not. In my simple world, the different shades of "good looking" between is just fine with me!
Old 01-21-2012, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too own 2 CVA Kodiaks a Mag and a Pro, then I bought 3 Accura V1's. It took a little getting used to the style of the Accura but after seeing how these babys shoot it was'nt long befor the Accura felt comfortable and the stock fit me good and I got used to it.
But I do agree with you on the newer Accura, I'd probably have one already if it was'nt for the (Rubber Grip Panels) on the forearm and stock, this just doe'nt look good to me. Also rubber is a no no when it comes to grips and wet or snowy weather where you grab your Mler or move your hand only to get a squeak and spook off the game with that sound..
I too like the break action MLers, the CVA Optima does'nt look that bad...I was considering getting one of them besides the Accura V2 because of the V2's looks. The only thing I really like about the V2 is the new QRBP, if the V1 had it I would'nt need another MLer. I can do without the QRBP on my V1, it's no big deal, I juts cant justify the added cost of the V2 for just some rubber grips and a QRBP, the price of the V2 is almost 2 times as much as the V1, I guess that's where they get the 2 in the V2 from.
But everything is changing nowadays, look at all the new body styles to all the new car's and trucks, I think there all UGLY. I guess were just old school and sooner or later will have to learn to live with it.
(BP)
Old 01-21-2012, 07:13 AM
Dominant Buck

While I might not like the looks of a rifle, if it fits good, shoulders well, and shoots straight, I can get used to a lot of things. Although when I first saw and handled an Optima, I did not like the looks or the way it felt. I felt the same way about the T/C Encore though. Now the Omega I liked a lot. But my real love is the traditional rifles as well.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Typical Buck

I like the accura looks the least but those that have them really like the way they shoot. For appearance, I still like a nice wood stock .
Old 01-21-2012, 07:44 PM
Banned

I love the looks of the Optima. The new Accura Mountain Rifle is pretty sweet as well.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:02 PM
Fork Horn

I like the look of the Optima and the Apex, but do not care for the look of the Accura V2.

Imo, some of the nicest looking muzzleloaders are the ones with a laminated wood stock.

Last edited by quake; 01-21-2012 at 11:08 PM.