Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Back to the Rock Pit with a Mountaineer

Old 01-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Back to the Rock Pit with a Mountaineer

Had some time today so decided to get another shooting session in. It was 36* here so the farm was not going to work again today - so headed back to the rock pit. I always worry about going late to the pit because somebody might already be there - it is a popular place to shoot.

I was using a Leupold 3x9x40 scope on this trip and again it had been bore sighted at home so I set the target a 50 yards to begin to check scope.

I was using the same load as the last trip 120 gr. T7-2f, a MMP Orange sabot and Lehigh/bloodline .458-275 bullet. I had so much success with it last time I did not want to bullets.
Loaded up the gun and set down at my fold up portable bench. You can see I really do not have any thing extra-ordinary to really steady up the rifle and the shot. Makes it more of a challenge - I keep telling myself that anyway.

First 3 shots - went great... I mean really good - so I decided to go with the Semi rule and get 5 shots in. Well that worked so I went to six.

I really wish the Leupold had a fast focus ring like my Bushnell Elites, I did turn the lock ring and try to clear up the X-hairs some but with my eyes not sure I accomplished anything.
After the six - I moved the target to 100 and started trying to get it where I wanted it. For some reason it was a task... i am not sure why it took me so many shots, just about was ready to throw in the towel but decided to try on more set... up 8 clicks - right 6 clicks. Then for some reason it settled righ in and I shot the a decent 3 shot group @ 100. Really this is where a 'equipment' upgrade would really help. Shots #1 & #2 I really felt good about - #3... I new right as it was going off - the rifle had drifted right just a smig... and the POI showed it.

Since I screwd that up - I walked a five clay pigeons down and placed them on the rock wall. I made short work of them and it was really rewarding to the ego.

For my last shots - I walked two birds down the wall and placed them so there was air behind them. I placed a small rock in front and back of the bird to hold them up right and my hope was then to shoot the center of them out @ 100 yards.
I decided to go after the right bird first but it was going to be a little difficult than I planned. The rock I placed in front was larger than I figured and when I went with my normal hold I thought I might het the rock, so i moved up ever so slightly and touched the round off. When the smoke cleared - there was no bird so my first attempt was a failure. Next the bird on the left... This one the rock at the bottom was not a large and I felt comfortable with the normal hold... Look!!! after the smoke cleared it was still there... Now I was worried I had missed!!! but upon further investigation....

I guess I can say these new Mountaineers really do shoot and they really shoot the Lehigh/Bloodline very well - at least for me it works....
Old 01-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Dominant Buck

very nice shooting there sabotloader. You can credit the rifle and the bullets.. but you better give yourself a high five too. After all you were the trigger man.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats some good shooting there SL, that a keeper.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:46 AM
Fork Horn

Great shooting!
Old 01-07-2012, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting. One of these days I'm going to have to get some clays and use them for targets. It looks like a lot of fun.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Nice shooting. One of these days I'm going to have to get some clays and use them for targets. It looks like a lot of fun.
For me there really is a reward breaking the bird and even better when you can call the center bird shot and get it...

I even thought about getting so explosive targets.. but with my luck something would go wrong and bite me in the rear - besides they are expensive for one boom. If were going to spend that kind of money I would probably use it to buy Black Gold... At least I would get more than one shot from 10 ounces.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Typical Buck

Very nice report as always. It would be nice to see a side by side comparison of your 52cal and the new Mountaineer. I would bet an older Knight shoots just as good and cost half the price.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jaybez101099
Very nice report as always. It would be nice to see a side by side comparison of your 52cal and the new Mountaineer. I would bet an older Knight shoots just as good and cost half the price.
Aaaaah yep! But you have to also remember when the 52 DISC Extreme first came out it was really expensive also..
Old 01-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting SL!!! You got to love it when you call your shot and it works out.

HA