Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pardon My Flip-Flop (on Leaving a Gun Loaded)

Old 01-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=bronko22000;3897278]
Originally Posted by Semisane
. Been leaving them loaded for twenty years or more with never a problem. But after this experience I got to thinking "what if that had been the buck of a lifetime?".

Don't you think 20 years is a might long?

I remember hitting the sack one night about two weeks ago with the electric heater running in my little hooch because the temp was somewhere in the mid forties.
quote]

Mid 40s?! You big sissy. Heck that's darn near sun tanning weather for us northerners!
It's a cold one tonight bronco, too bad we could'nt send semi some of this, I bet it's the same where you are. Yep I've been out side with no shirt on and in shorts when it's been in the 40's.
I just came back in from the woodshed getting wood for the stove, it's 3 degreese here, I was just wearing a sweatshirt and sweatpants.
(BP)
Old 01-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

One other 'trick' to do is to remove the flash hole or clean out screw or even the breech and check to see if the powder is loose and dry.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Dominant Buck

I remember hitting the sack one night about two weeks ago with the electric heater running in my little hooch because the temp was somewhere in the mid forties.
I had -13º last night with 15 mph winds. You'd of needed more then a little heater there. Although I lucked out, the neighbor down on the river had -16º. I live in the warmer part of the area.

I think that what you described Semisane might be exactly what happened. That cold, that heat, the stress on the metal. Could have made just enough condensation in the bolster or on the charge to do the dirty.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm pretty sure that is what happened...the sweat compromised his load.

So back to my original question...do you guys think black powder tends to draw moisture more than other subs (such as pyrodex, 777, etc)? I use pyrodex...never had an issue ever. And I do bring my gun in the house from the cold - so I know it sweats sometimes. Still fires like clockwork. I'm kinda in the pluckit mode....in close to 20yrs, its never happened so I'm not gonna hurry up and change my ways at this point.

I'm also not pushing my load out unless I absolutely have to. It just makes a mess in my gun. I grease my plug, so its more trouble than its worth. I'll shoot it out before I push or pull a load.

As a side note, its cold here too guys...though not nearly what you guys have. Right now its 15 w/ 15-20mph winds and its snowing lightly. Coldest we've been so far this year, which has actually been warmer than usual to this point. Supposed to get into the single digits tonight.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
I had -13º last night with 15 mph winds. You'd of needed more then a little heater there. Although I lucked out, the neighbor down on the river had -16º. I live in the warmer part of the area.

I think that what you described Semisane might be exactly what happened. That cold, that heat, the stress on the metal. Could have made just enough condensation in the bolster or on the charge to do the dirty.
Now that's COLD Dave! were getting tonight what you got last night. I just let my black lab out and he came back in quick, I felt a little bad for him, his nose and lips were covered in Ice.
Dave,
Do you think Humidity has more to do with it then the temperature changes from hot to cold when you get moisture in your barrel or powder?
(BP)
Old 01-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well it's dang cold here tonight also. We have our first freeze warning with the possibility of thirty-one/thirty-two degrees overnight. But it looks like it will be back to around seventy for the high on Friday when I'll be hunting. DAGNABIT!!!
Old 01-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
I'm pretty sure that is what happened...the sweat compromised his load.

So back to my original question...do you guys think black powder tends to draw moisture more than other subs (such as pyrodex, 777, etc)? I use pyrodex...never had an issue ever. And I do bring my gun in the house from the cold - so I know it sweats sometimes. Still fires like clockwork. I'm kinda in the pluckit mode....in close to 20yrs, its never happened so I'm not gonna hurry up and change my ways at this point.

I'm also not pushing my load out unless I absolutely have to. It just makes a mess in my gun. I grease my plug, so its more trouble than its worth. I'll shoot it out before I push or pull a load.

As a side note, its cold here too guys...though not nearly what you guys have. Right now its 15 w/ 15-20mph winds and its snowing lightly. Coldest we've been so far this year, which has actually been warmer than usual to this point. Supposed to get into the single digits tonight.
WV Hunter,
Im with you, I use Pyro and have never had a problem ever. How does pushing out a load make a mess in your MLer? For me I just remove the BP, the powder or pellets fall or come out, then I push out the Bullet and Sabot, no mess at all, the barrel is clean as could be.I push out the bullet/sabot twords the breech end.
(BP)
Old 01-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
WV Hunter,
Im with you, I use Pyro and have never had a problem ever. How does pushing out a load make a mess in your MLer? For me I just remove the BP, the powder or pellets fall or come out, then I push out the Bullet and Sabot, no mess at all, the barrel is clean as could be.I push out the bullet/sabot twords the breech end.
(BP)
Because I grease my BP, so the grease is in the breech also. The loose powder sticks to the grease in the breech...so I have to clean it out before putting the plug back in. Not a major issue, but personally I'll just shoot it to unload it unless I'm in a situation where I can't. Pellets would fall right out I'm sure, but I don't use them.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Semisane

It seems ironic to me that had you been using BH209 in your rifle, you would not have experienced the 'poof'. BH would have ignited with full energy, and you would now have meat.

It is ironic to me because we read over and over again of issues igniting BH. In the X7 BH ignites right now no matter the weather, and no matter which shotgun primer is used. Isn't it ironic that of all the subs, BH would turn out to be the most reliable, after all we have read of it's advantages/disadvantages. Who woulda thought, BH turns out to be the easiest to use, and the most reliable powder of all the subs. Of course, one has to be using a rifle like the X7, which works well with BH.

Many on these forum have disdain for BH, but had Semisane been using BH209, he would now have meat. BH209 is reliable. One doesn't have to sweat 'sweat' when using BH. One doesn't have to sweat snow, rain, cold, humidity, etc. Just load it, save it, and shoot it. Just normal precautions insures BH will ignite without delay. I'll not change my habits of leaving my rifle loaded with BH209, for the duration of the season, because of what i read in this here thread.

Yes, yes, this is just one old carpenter' opinion.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

You may have a point there Ron. What I suspect is there was sweat moisture in the barrel at one or more times during the loaded period, and when I carried it muzzle up with the sling over my shoulder some of that moisture migrated past the sabot into the powder column. That may have happened more than once over the two month period.

So the question is - would the same circumstances not contaminate a BH charge? Will a damp charge of BH fire as normal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.