Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Acceptable Accuracy with a Flintlock

Old 12-30-2011, 11:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

HuntAway - Your flinter should shoot just as accurate as a percussion rifle IMO. There's not a heck of a lot of difference in the ignition system. True, the 'flash in the pan' is a bit slower than the caplock but off a rest you should have no difference. I know when I shoot my flinter off the bags and I get a misfire or just the pan goes off, the sights don't move.
Now with that being said, shooting from field positions, and being a lefty, it takes a lot of conscious effort to keep those sights lined up when the pan flares up. And its amazing how fast the body can react and throw off the sights. That is why I rarely shoot from a standing position, even with sticks, with a flinter. Only as a last resort and if the target is close (<50 yds). I will either shoot prone, sitting, or kneeling. For me, kneeling is the fastest position to get into and I can shoot my flinter pretty good from it.