Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.
View Poll Results: Fact or crap
Fact
53.33%
Crap
46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Fact or Crap

Old 12-27-2011, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mountaineer magic
So the person would have to be either a liar or an unethical hunter?
Depending on whether it's fact or crap of course.

Where did the liar come from?

Yes, I guess thats how, I would feel about it. If you can not pick out a kill zone shot (which I know, you can not at this distance with open sights) It would be unethical to take the shot. When you are shooting this far with no optics, it is a hope and a dream to make a good shot.

Last edited by Boonechaser; 12-27-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:00 PM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 08:11 AM.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Exactly, not enough Info, what was the Gun, a Rifle or a MLer? Anthings Possible and everyone gets LUCKY every now and then.
Now if you post a pic of a Deer that you say weighs way more than the deer in the pic looks like it should weigh then we at least have somethign to comment on.
It isn't an act with you, is it?
Old 12-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone that thinks this is a impossible or lucky shot needs to visit this site and the people who posted there long range kills, do it with .460 gr full bore conicals and peep sights. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...1076llTkUbl7qQ there are a lot of people who for whatever reason don't use optics and are proficient out past 200 yds with peep sights..it's all about knowing your equipment and practice, NOT optics!!
Old 12-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
Anyone that thinks this is a impossible or lucky shot needs to visit this site and the people who posted there long range kills, do it with .460 gr full bore conicals and peep sights. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...1076llTkUbl7qQ there are a lot of people who for whatever reason don't use optics and are proficient out past 200 yds with peep sights..it's all about knowing your equipment and practice, NOT optics!!
I agree. There are definitiely some folks that can shoot open sights a LONG way very accurately.

As to the original question...all I know is this:

FACT = I couldn't do it.

CRAP = What would happen if I happened to make the shot
Old 12-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

As to the original question...all I know is this:
FACT = I couldn't do it.
CRAP = What would happen if I happened to make the shot
Excellent WV Hunter.

There are a select few who know for sure they can do it, and prove it. I admire that skill.

My iron sight shooting ability is such that I wouldn't even consider it, because CRAP = What I would feel like watching a deer run off on three legs.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Spike

check out this post I read on another board tonight, this would be a gun with open sights also:

Good gun. I shoot a knight bighorn but my dad bought the evolution last year and it shoots very well. We shoot almost every weekend and this year he took his deer at 305 yards with it. No possible way we could get closer. WE both use 120 grains 777 and 250 spitfire TMZ.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it has to be a fact else it would never have been presented in such a way. But I aint votin'.

And yes, I think it is quite possible to pull off a killing shot at that range with open sights. Many years ago I probably could have done it. Now I wouldn't think of trying it at all without a scope and practice at that range.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

75 yards is my limit with open sights. But I am not about to impose my limits on someone else. If the person says he did it and there is no proof that he didn't then who am I to call the person a liar.
I would have to consider it a FACT.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:33 AM
Fork Horn

Who was wearing the thong? The wife or the guy shooting the deer????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.