Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Things I Learned Today

Old 12-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you got out of line in fourth grade, Sister Justine would grab you by the hair of your sideburns and drag you out of your desk and up to the blackboard. Then she put a dot of chalk on the board that you had to press your nose against until she "released" you. The dot was always just high enough that you had to stand on your toes a bit. That old gal was tough as nails, but there was no foolishness in her class. Maybe she should get the credit for my current semisane status.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im pretty good at it as long as I shot at a Target first. If I shoot just once at a target and see where I hit I can adjust my sights or scope on the next adjustment to get me in at least a 2" from dead center.
I dont see how anyone could try and adjust there sights without first knowing where your hitting.
(BP)
Old 12-27-2011, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

Huntaway-this is a continuation of yesterday's session?
I ask because, without adjusting sights at all on my GPR today, I upped the powder charge to 80 from 75 which changed the POI from high and left at 50 yds to high & right at 50 yds w/ 3 shots each to confirm. Now neither group was a cloverleaf, but they were within 2" of one another. I never would have expected 5gr to make such a difference & am glad I did NOT make any adjustments prior.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

bronko,
I think that group was with the .50. I know my Omega group was real good.

breech,
I had shot the day previous. When I got home and after cleaning I decided to lower my sights a bit. Probably should have done it at the pit but thought I could save a bit of time in the snow.

3seas,
yes it's a continuation over two days. I think I have the sights where I want them now it's just a matter of putting 3 in the black.

HA
Old 12-28-2011, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

I just noticed, you shoot lefty?
I don't know how long you've been experimenting w/ yours, my GPR is new to me last week. What I'm finding in my online pokings & proddings is that the 80-90 gr seems to be where most shoot best; I'm hoping to find that good grouping load prior to filing any sights.
Ultimately, I'l like to zero in the 80-100 yd range. I doubt I'd ever take a shot in the field much beyond 75 or so as the kill zone is all but indiscernable to me at that distance-through open sights I see "DEER".
That peep must prove useful?
Old 12-28-2011, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 3seasons
I just noticed, you shoot lefty?
I don't know how long you've been experimenting w/ yours, my GPR is new to me last week. What I'm finding in my online pokings & proddings is that the 80-90 gr seems to be where most shoot best; I'm hoping to find that good grouping load prior to filing any sights.
Ultimately, I'l like to zero in the 80-100 yd range. I doubt I'd ever take a shot in the field much beyond 75 or so as the kill zone is all but indiscernable to me at that distance-through open sights I see "DEER".
That peep must prove useful?
Peep Sights are good when there's plenty enough light, when the light is dim you cant see through them as most of the holes are tiny wich gives you a better aiming point.
(BP)
Old 12-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Lyman peep comes with 2 inserts. 1 is fine for target work and the other larger for hunting. What I do as light is fading is remove the insert and use the housing like a ghost ring. Good for close work.

HA
Old 12-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

[quote=Semisane;3895010]If you got out of line in fourth grade, Sister Justine would grab you by the hair of your sideburns and drag you out of your desk and up to the blackboard. quote]

Semi, unlike you, most of us were too young to have sideburns in the 4th grade.....but at least you survived Sister Justine.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=bronko22000;3895373]
Originally Posted by Semisane
If you got out of line in fourth grade, Sister Justine would grab you by the hair of your sideburns and drag you out of your desk and up to the blackboard. quote]

Semi, unlike you, most of us were too young to have sideburns in the 4th grade.....but at least you survived Sister Justine.
Now THAT right thar is funny!

HA
Old 12-28-2011, 03:41 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Semisane
If you got out of line in fourth grade, Sister Justine would grab you by the hair of your sideburns and drag you out of your desk and up to the blackboard. Then she put a dot of chalk on the board that you had to press your nose against until she "released" you. The dot was always just high enough that you had to stand on your toes a bit. That old gal was tough as nails, but there was no foolishness in her class. Maybe she should get the credit for my current semisane status.

4th grade? Sideburns? geez Semi how old where you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.