Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

ballistics for 300 yd shot

Old 12-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
The majority of hunters can't make any of those shots in the field. What you can do on a bench at a range, almost doesn't count.

Our local range has targets out to 500 yds. We have full size steel game targets. I can't count the times guys have shot at the full size elk target at 500 yds. Some took 5 shots before they could even hit it anywhere. Let alone consistently hit the kill zone. If it's windy. It's comical.

Just because someone has a scope. Doesn't mean they can hold it on the kill zone at 500yds in the field. The slightest little twitch moves the crosshair off the animal. Let alone the kill zone.

I have a pat answer when someone mentions a long shot they took. Which I know the yardage was probably half of what they claim. It goes like this.

Joe.....Hey Pete! I shot an elk at 400 yds yesterday.

Me...Don't feel bad Joe. You'll get closer next time.
Your Funny Muley and you also speak the truth (I like you, There's No Lying in You) Quote from Omar Suarez in Scarface.
Anyhoo the one's that dont lesten to experience are the ones that have to learn from Murphy
(BP)
Old 12-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mountaineer magic
You quoted my question so I thought it was an answer to my question
I guess I did sort of answer it. I think few can make those shots. If someone could in hunting conditions, and in all kinds of weather. Go ahead. You're a TV star.

Tip..You don't have to take a shot, because it's all you have at the moment.

If you're going to take sniper shots. Make sure you're a sniper.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:27 PM
Banned

yeah i saw that too. I'd P' me off carrying it through the mountains and brush. Mainly for prarie dog hunting and such. Much to bulky.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:31 PM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've always used a shooting sling. It really does help steady the gun if used from a knee, or sitting position.

It's not a great style of sling to carry the gun, but more than makes up for it in shooting.

No sticks, or bi-pods. Too much trouble and clunky to setup fast.

Travel light. Hunt like an Indian.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I've always used a shooting sling. It really does help steady the gun if used from a knee, or sitting position.

It's not a great style of sling to carry the gun, but more than makes up for it in shooting.

No sticks, or bi-pods. Too much trouble and clunky to setup fast.

Travel light. Hunt like an Indian.
I also think sticks are to hard to set up fast, you make too much movement, the deer around here would spot you in a second.
I personally take shots only from a solid rest, a tree, off my knees ect. I do take off hand shots out to say 75yds, but anything further I want a solid rest so I know Im going to hit where Im aiming.
Im not bragging but the last 50 deer or more that I have taken have been solid lung or heart shots, the others have been in places that I was aiming for and not by accident.
Now if I lived out West where a-lot of you Hunt Muleys and have a-lot of Open Ground Im sure My Hunting Methods would change to fit the circumstances.
(BP)
Old 12-22-2011, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any of you guys ever use one of those Claw slings with the shooting sticks built in? The idea seems good, but wonder about functionality of them.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:11 PM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 08:25 AM.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Any of you guys ever use one of those Claw slings with the shooting sticks built in? The idea seems good, but wonder about functionality of them.
Mountain Devil uses one. He seems to like it.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mountaineer magic
I have one on my omega. Give me a regular sling and you can have it. I don't like it . Junk ( my opinion of course)
LOL.
I've never seen one in person, but like I said...the idea sounds good. The regular claw slings are pretty nice, imo.

I've never hunted where I felt the need for shooting sticks, but if I hunted an area like some of you guys..I would use sticks for sure. I know there have been a few times where I would have loved to have some, but those are few and far between.

As others have mentioned....I rarely shoot without a rest anymore either. BP said he'll go offhand to 75, my offhand max is about 40 anymore - and I'll always choose a rest over offhand if one is remotely possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.