Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

ballistics for 300 yd shot

Old 12-22-2011, 04:26 PM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mountaineer magic
50 yards with a bow is ridiculous. you should get to less than 30 yards or its unethical. If you cant get closer than 30 yards or less you should hunt with a rifle not a bow.
I dont think you read my post right....I said I shoot a-lot of (3-D Targets) at 50yds and further, not on REAL Deer. 3-D Targets are made of foam and we shoot them in competition in the IBO (International Bowhunting Organization)
Believe Me I can shoot a Bow and My Max Yardage is 30yds with a Bow when hunting real live deer, even though I can 10 ring 3-D targets consistantly at 50yds+++
I placed 11th in the Atlantic City Indoor World Championships and 4th in the Canadian World Championships.
Please re-read my original Post.
(BP)
Old 12-22-2011, 04:38 PM
mountaineer magic

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

A simple question: If a person is able to make a shot, and the equipment is more than adequate, and the ballistics are more than sufficient, why shouldn't a person take the shot?? Whether it is 50 yards with a bow, 500 yards with a rifle or 300 with a muzzleloader.
If you can consistantly hit a 3"+- spot, mabey a tad bigger on a target all the time then I say go for it. As long as the MLer has enough energy and the deer is standing still broadside. You and only you know what your capable of.
But remember what you new Sig Say's (Hunt hard and Kill Clean)
Im also courious as to how many other Members on here have taken deer out to 300yds with there MLers, anyone?
(BP)
Old 12-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

A simple question: If a person is able to make a shot, and the equipment is more than adequate, and the ballistics are more than sufficient, why shouldn't a person take the shot?? Whether it is 50 yards with a bow, 500 yards with a rifle or 300 with a muzzleloader.
The majority of hunters can't make any of those shots in the field. What you can do on a bench at a range, almost doesn't count.

Our local range has targets out to 500 yds. We have full size steel game targets. I can't count the times guys have shot at the full size elk target at 500 yds. Some took 5 shots before they could even hit it anywhere. Let alone consistently hit the kill zone. If it's windy. It's comical.

Just because someone has a scope. Doesn't mean they can hold it on the kill zone at 500yds in the field. The slightest little twitch moves the crosshair off the animal. Let alone the kill zone.

I have a pat answer when someone mentions a long shot they took. Which I know the yardage was probably half of what they claim. It goes like this.

Joe.....Hey Pete! I shot an elk at 400 yds yesterday.

Me...Don't feel bad Joe. You'll get closer next time.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:11 PM
mountaineer magic

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Banned

i normally strap my lead sled to my back while hunting. It never hurts to have a good rest just in case you need it.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I practice in the pasture the same way I hunt, usually with a bipod or off my jacket balled up as a rest. I dont have a bench
Key was :if the person is able

lastly you must not have read the question correctly.
I simply made a statement about those distances for the average hunter. It wasn't pointed at anybody on this forum.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:17 PM
mountaineer magic

Old 12-22-2011, 05:22 PM
mountaineer magic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.