Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

ballistics for 300 yd shot

Old 12-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Banned

I caught a 270 powerbelt on camera that you could see. It was pretty fun to see that. I actually saw it first through my scope and was like.. what the heck was that?! miracle it was caught on the camera.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Banned

Muley, dont even bother with it anymore. I honestly think some group of guys get together to PO others and try to get them banned LOL.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

It wouldn't surprise me Jon.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I actually like Boone. At least he's honest, and speaks his mind. I can easily get along with guys like that.

I have no use for back stabbers.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
I caught a 270 powerbelt on camera that you could see. It was pretty fun to see that. I actually saw it first through my scope and was like.. what the heck was that?! miracle it was caught on the camera.
Thank's MD and to the others who have commented on seeing the path of the bullet to the target. I only stated in my original comment on this that I saw it happen only 2 times, not all the time.
And It was the bullet and not a vapor trail, I actually saw the bullet in flight and smack the deer dead center in the lungs, I could'nt believe it myself. I can also see how some see the vapor trail also of the bullet, but for sure I saw the bullet and not the vapor trail.
Also I did see this through my scope, Im sure that made somewhat of a difference. But at the target range It's just my eyes, and if you stand in the right spot you can see the bullet in flight, mabey not everytime but it does happen.
(BP)
Old 12-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can only dream of seeing a bullet in flight with my vision.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:39 PM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

A 100yd shot with open sights is a good shot. It's unethical if someone isn't good at it. Only the shooter knows that.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, practice makes perfect, and knowing your equiptment is everything, but there still has be limitations to all of this. For instance I shoot a-lot of 3-D targets with my Bow, I regularry practice out to 70yds because most of the longest 3-D targets are 50+-yds, so practicing at 70yds makes them 50yd shots easy.
Now I know this is with my Bow but I can 6 out of 10 times out the arrow in the 10 ring at 70yds, the rest are solid 10's. I know the yardage so all I have to do is aim and make the shot. I would never consider a shot at 70yds with my bow even if I ranged it and knew it was 70, too much can happen, and Im even sure that if I held high enough my bow could take a deer out at 150yds, but I'd never try that one either.
Now back to 300, I'd take this shot any day of the week with a rifle, it would be a good shot but no where near a unheard of shot, just because the rifle can shoot 2,000yds and more, does'nt mean Im going to take a shot at 2000yds just because it can shoot that far, I'd stick to a 500-600yd shot max. With a MLer it's not a rifle and a 300yd shot would be pushing it, even though you can hit the bull on the target at 300 still does,nt mean that just because you can do it, it's good to try the shot.
Just because you car has a speedometer that says it'll do 140 or faster, does'nt mean going that fast is a good thing to do.
I have nothing wrong with shots taken out to 200yds with a MLer, and even though you can punch the bull at 300yds with a MLer, remember it's just paper and not a real animal.
These comments are ment for no one, the express how I feel about my equiptment and what it's capable of reguardless of how good I can shoot or how far my equiptment shoots.
If it was me I'd put more time into figuring out how to get closer to the game than trying to accomplish shooting at it further. Now if there were no trees or brush or anything for the deer to hide behind or in, and it was nothing but wide open fields where we had to belly crawl to get within 300yds of a deer without it seeing us and running off, then yes I'd have to take 300yd shots, that's saying I could'nt use a rifle to do it and only my MLer.
(BP)

Last edited by Breechplug; 12-22-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:13 PM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.