Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

ballistics for 300 yd shot

Old 12-21-2011, 03:54 PM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 08:21 AM.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chet,

With your 26" barrels, and using BH209 your ballistic will be better than you think, i think; more like the chart calculated by Lee Loader posted in my post.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:14 PM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 08:21 AM.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also have a Leupold Ultimate Slam MLer Scope with the S.A.B.R. sure I had that baby diald in at 200++yds but never in my wildest dreams would I even consider a shot at 300yds. Now Im NOT saying you'd do it but I like at least 900ft lbs of energy to do the job. Im not sure even if you's get that much that even the ft lbs could help you.
At 200yds I have watched the bullet in flight to the target, just imagine what would happen at 300 if the deer took just one step, your good shot just turned into a bad one. A MLer is just that a MLer, it's not a rifle. Im sure if I hit it just right I could take a deer with my Bow at 300yds, but would I try it, no.
I've taken shots at 150-175yds and worried that something could go wrong. It might look good on paper or in the data reports, but in real life it's totally different, they dont show the what if's or could happens.
If a deer is at 300yds it's because you could'nt get any closer, I would never brag that I shot a deer at 300yds, my buddys would look at me like Im NUT's and why the heck would I even try a stupid thing like that.
Anythings possible but the other possibilities are endless.
(BP)
Old 12-21-2011, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Of course I agree with BP, but you guys aren't talking about wind drift at all.

The bullets you're talking about have lousy BC's. They're going to get blown around quite a bit at 300yds. It's much harder to judge than elevation.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
.....................you guys aren't talking about wind drift at all.

The bullets you're talking about have lousy BC's. They're going to get blown around quite a bit at 300yds. It's much harder to judge than elevation.
True, but so what. The only way i ever manage to hit anything i shoot at, is if the guiding hand pushes the bullet into the deer. Any long range success i have, isn't because i am a good shot.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ron,Fortunately the wind isn't always a factor, when it is common sense kicks in and either you get closer or pass the shot up.i passed on a good buck 4 years ago with my 25-06 at 400 yds. the wind was blowing to darn hard and i didn't want to take a chance and wound him.if the had not been blowing so hard, he would have been riding back to my house in the back of my jeep..
Old 12-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Myself, i am trying to figure out what is worse for this country.

Is it the democrats that have created a slew of bums with their hands out, and planted wolves, protected grizzly, protected lion, protected beautiful trees so they never become saw logs. The trees fall and rot or burn, saw mills shut down, mill workers are furloughed. Companies providing jobs, and products are taxed more, more, and more, until they move away, the help goes unemployed and no longer pay taxes, nor do the companies that move out of country or out of state.

Is it you republicans that wish to impose your beliefs, and opinions on others that are just trying to put some meat in the freezer? We use the wrong kind of muzzle loader, or we shoot too far, or we like the look of pretty antlers. We don't hunt the way you want us to, so we aren't as good of a hunter as you are, or we are stoopid.

For forty year, i put elk meat in the freezer. Closest kill was 30 feet, furthest was 300 yard. Some cows i killed, because they stayed with their calf, that couldn't walk any further, because i wouldn't quit. There were times i was glad when the elk i was trailing, and smelling, busted me, and ran off, so i could relax after an hour of being so very very tense, and close to a shot. Other times i would be lucky tracking them elk, and when the elk was dead, then and only then could the built up tension fade away. We killed for the meat, but loved the hunt. How many times when hunting after my elk tag was filled, i got the drop on a nice 6 point, removed the cartridge from the chamber, and counted coup by pulling the trigger, and seeing the cross hair never wavered.

Our son's first deer was a humdinger. He was 9. He shot, and the deer ran off with blood splattering both sides of the trail. Lung shot i thought, and the blood was being blown out both sides as the deer breathed. No the blood was too dark it seemed. When we failed to find it after over 100 yard, i asked him where he aimed. In the middle he said. But.........i said. Not forward i said. No he said, in the middle he said. The blood gradually petered out. The snow went away. We were looking for and finding one spot of blood in 50 feet. We gave up, but looked some more. We were at it for hours. We lost the trail, We heard Ravens down below; went down there; found blood. The trail in the dust headed up. We gave up for the nth time. The buck, a nice 4 point was lying under a dead tree looking at us. The blood spattered on both sides of the trail because his innards were dangling, and swung blood back and forth as he ran. Went back to camp for the truck, and one of the good old boys back there came with us to get the boy's first deer. He told the boy how nice his buck was. The boy was all puffed up. The boy was treated like a hero in camp that night.

Today, i no longer hunt elk, but hunt an extended season, because of the muzzle loader. Putting meat in the freezer is a priority, the hunt itself is a necessity. No longer can i hunt the timber. Too many lion they say. Hunt the prairie they say. Oh boy, i say.

Two days ago i killed a deer with iron sights. The state dictates i use iron sights during the designated muzzle loader season. The front sight looks like an hour glass to me, unless i squint real hard and tight. When i squint real hard and tight the deer becomes difficult to see. It seems to me you superior moral republicans would have me stay home, and not hunt, because it is difficult for me to make the shot. I violate no legal regulations, and kill deer. The shot is hard for me to make. The 140 yard shot i made 2 days ago may be as difficult for me to make as the 350 yard shot using a scope with a cds dial may be when i make it. Both shots require a helping hand on the bullet. The shots i make, i make with a helping hand; i cannot do it alone.

What is the big deal? Why do you fellas feel compelled to get me to hunt the way you want me to? Why do you keep preaching your beliefs to me? Why can't i hunt the way i have always hunted these past 50 year?

The meat is important to us. The hunt is a necessity. I am compelled to do my utmost to put meat in the freezer. I violate no game laws. I take all the shots. Short shots, long shots, i try them all. Passing up a shot results in zero dead deer. Taking the shot may result in zero dead deer. Taking the shot may result in food for all them critters i share the world with. Taking the shot may result in meat in the freezer.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

Ron you don't have to explain yourself to anyone and I do agree with what your saying. I'm not sure what anyone's political status has to do with anything but I like to refer to the ones you are talking about as "hypocritical elitists or purists" (spelling?). Oh narrow minded would be another good one to throw in there. I'm sure there is more.

Last edited by chaded; 12-21-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ron, sorry if i offended you and i don't think i did.the wind i was talking about was extreme,gusting over 40 mph.was just conversation!

Last edited by builder459; 12-21-2011 at 09:01 PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.