Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Couldn't you?

Old 12-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Couldn't you?

couldn't one bore out the barrel to shape it like a rifle cartridge...ie oversized... overbore...

say have it shoot a 45 or 50 caliber bullet and have a neck down in there... essentially an overbore rifle cartridge without the case since it's a black powder gun?

feed the powder.... ram it... load the bullet, and you'd get a non straight walled black powder rifle/rig?
Old 12-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sure, you could do that salukipv1. But I'm not sure you would gain anything by doing so (other than complicating cleaning and restricting your ability to use lighter loads than the chamber design).

We're dealing with black powder and BP subs. I really don't know if there's any advantages/disadvantages of long bore-size powder columns over short fatter-than-bore powder columns with these powders. Maybe one of our more knowledgeable ballistics & powder guys can tell us.

Most black powder cartridges were straight walled, or slightly tapered. I suspect the only reason for the few bottleneck black powder cartridges was to have a heavy charge without the need for a cartridge six inches long. A long powder colum is not an issue in a muzzle loader.

Last edited by Semisane; 12-19-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

As Semi stated I don't believe that would be practical. Like Semi stated, reduced loads would not be able to be used. Your charge would have to be such that it would completley fill the overbored area and the bullet seated firmly on top of it. Otherwise it could react as a bore obstruction. Very bad. Also your seating depth would have to remain within the smaller diameter. Too deep and it could become lodged sideways in the overbore. Again very bad.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do most states require the use of blackpowder?

ie could you build a ML designed to use gun powder? ie 1 shot, loaded from the muzzle...? but built strong enough to handle higher pressures/gun powder?
Old 12-20-2011, 03:03 AM
Fork Horn

In Minnesota the DNR says nothing about what type of powder can be used. It only says it cannot be loaded from the breech. It also says the minimum caliber is .45 for smoothbore and .40 for rifled bore; we also cannot use any type of scope, even non-magnifying, unless you jump thru a bunch of paperwork hoops due to physical disabilities.