Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Dialed the Wolf in today

Old 12-18-2011, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mountaineer magic
I know what you mean. Couple years ago I got into trying to shoot an axe blade so that the round ball split and broke clays set on each side of the axe. I had a lot of fun. Took me quite a bit of practice but once I finally done it at 50 yards I lost interest. I should try it again. I would love to have some silhouettes to practice shooting. Right now by big thing is getting good enough to take a deer at 300 yards
Why are you so concerned with taking a deer at 300 yds with a MLer? And even if you somehow possibly can get one at that range and not be 275 or 320, why?
It is possible to do, but make sure you have enough Foot Pounds of energy befor you do so. I like to have at least 800ft lbs of energy at any distance. If possible up you Powder Load to the Max that your MLer likes and groups well with. I would go with at least a 120gr charge. But befor the shot is taken, practice, practice and practice more at 300. There's so much that can go wrong at that long of a shot with a MLer. I get shots at 160-175 and I get worried, even though the deer is standing still feeding, if he takes just one step befor the shot gets there it can be a bad thing. I say this because on some of the shots I have taken out to 175+yds, after the shot I have actually been able to see the bullet on it's path to the deer and actually hit them after the shot.
A MLer is still just a MLer, sure it can take animals out to 300yds, for me 200 would be my max, and that's a dang good shot in anyones book with a MLer.
(BP)
Old 12-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear about your trouble with the scopes. I don't like to spend a lot on scopes either, but I have had pretty good luck with Bushnell in the past. I got rid of one, though because it had very little eye relief and after one range session shooting some heavier loads I looked like I had been in a bar fight. So I traded that one for a Simmons ProDiamond- like Dave said, I have 2 now for several years and haven't been able to break them, even after dropping the scoped rifle on a concrete floor. Only minus is that they are only 4 power- most of the time that is okay for me, but there have been times when I was wishing for more...
Old 12-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

I have a wolf and I just never put a scope on it... Open sights still work for me. shot a doe standing broadside at 101 yds this season. I shoot 2 pyro pellets and hornandy xtp's through it and am dern happy with the performance of that gun... We can hunt with scopes, maybe someday I'll put one on it... never could get a PB to shoot consistently through mine.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Banned

still waiting to go to the NRA. Its been dumping snow on us like crazy. 16" the other day and today, they are calling for another 10 to 16"
Old 12-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
still waiting to go to the NRA. Its been dumping snow on us like crazy. 16" the other day and today, they are calling for another 10 to 16"
just watched the news and saw that you and New Mexico were getting pounded with snow.stoke the stove up and enjoy the ride.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Banned

yeah im still over in NM due to the snow. Was going to leave today but it looks like it will be another day or 2 before i can leave. Snow just started to come down heavy here in NM.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:56 PM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:45 PM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-26-2012 at 09:38 AM.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Banned

more like snowed out of Colorado. Truck needs new tires and so im not going to chance a drive home at night. Knew i should have taken my truck!
Old 12-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mountaineer magic
I believe 600 ft lbs is more than sufficient and as Ron pointed out a .45 cal 200 gr bullet has over that at 400 yards. As far as why. A personal challenge. A goal I set for myself 2 years ago and have been working at every since. Simply because I want to. No other reason, as i can get a lot closer than that if I wanted to, ( although there have been times when a long shot like that could have been the difference in a deer that day versus no deer)

I'll echo a question from another thread.
If a person is able to make the shot, the equipment is more than adequate, the ballistics are more than sufficient , then why shouldnt the person take the shot whether it be 50 yards with a bow, 500 yards with a rifle or 300 with a muzzleloader?
600ft lbs is'nt enough, you need at least 800-900ft lbs and that's on the low end.
I can understand your personal goal, I set mine at 200yds and have taken a few at 175-185 but just could'nt find one right at 200 no matter how hard I tried.
I have no problem with your goal, we all need to set goals. If you practice enough then anythings possible.
I wish you the best of luck!
(BP)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.