Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What do YOU consider when YOU are looking for in an new ML

Old 12-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What do YOU consider when YOU are looking for in an new ML

With all my looking around for an new rifle.

I had to ask this to everyone.

What do you consider when you are looking for in an new ML?

what I am looking at.
first was prices.
second who makes the caliber I was looking for.
third what model.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Well the first thing I ask myself these days is, what can this rifle do that ones I already have can not. Next is what appeals to me about the rifle, is it the caliber, the looks, the action, the function, or a combination of that. Next I look at the company. I am not going to purchase from a company that I can not depend on. One reason I stopped buying White rifles. I mean they are a great rifle. But if one breaks... Next I read reports of how well the rifle functions, what other shooters reports are, accuracy, and dependability. One reason I avoid new concept rifles. Because I want to know that the bugs are worked out of them. Then of course we get to price for the rifle. And I then ask myself if buying this rifle will really add to what I already have.

I have really put stop checks on myself as of late. One reason I have not purchased any new rifles in a very long time.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Banned

How it fits me, trigger pull, overall quality. I've gone through a LOT of muzzleloaders over the years and most likely will keep doing so as i love to play with new things.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im pretty much the same as (cayugad) but besides what he mentioned I prefer a stainless steel barrel and a synthetic camo stock. It has to shoulder me just right, be easy to take apart and clean, have at least a 28" barrel as Im tall and need a long MLer, and something nobodys mentioned yet the looks of it really matter also. Price does'nt matter to me as hunting is my passion and I live to hunt and I only use a MLer for all my hunting
Now once I find a MLer that suits all my needs, is a nail driver and dependable I'll stop there. This MLer will become my friend and will be the only MLer I use for hunting. If I like it that much I'll buy another one and possibly a third. Why? because I have found that over the years when I find something I really like and dont buy another one while thy still make them, when I decide to get another there gone, no longer available, dicontinued. It seems nowadays the manufactures only make certain things for a short period then they have to change this and that to keep you interested and make you think you need the newer and better one, but sometimes this is'nt the case and the older one was much much better,
(BP)
Old 12-18-2011, 03:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

First is brand name. Is it a company that has a good reputation and is doing well financially? (at least not on the verge of going broke in today's economy)

Second is do they have a model that fits what I'm looking for.

There is also the factor of past experience with the brands I narrow the search down to. Which has performed best for me in the past?

Then I do a search and ask questions on forums like this one. What have other people found out about the brand/model I'm looking at?

How easy is it to care for and maintain?

I've bought a few on impulse over the years and regretted it later, so I shop carefully now.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well the first thing I ask myself these days is, what can this rifle do that ones I already have can not.
This actually applies to all my firearm purchases. I can understand purchasing a back-up when a person finds something they really like. But with each purchase I try to expand shooting options not overlap current capabilities.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

In this order. Fit....accuracy... reliability...price.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Dominant Buck

The problem I find buying on line, and it does bother me. As many of you touched on. Is the fit of the rifle to the shoulder. For instance, when I purchased my Genesis I had never held one, never shouldered one, etc.. So I had to take it in kind of good faith that it would work out of me. That is the one disadvantage of buying on line.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Corey, that new Accura Mountain Rifle should fit you very well.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

This is a good topic.

For me I look for quality and craftsmanship. I also consider made in America to be a big plus. I also look for veratility. Price is always important, but I am buying a lot less these days because I already have more than I need. Frankly I have been thinking of thinning the ML herd at my house these days. I have to admit that the NULA is very attractive to me these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.