Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What do YOU consider when YOU are looking for in an new ML

Old 12-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

The problem I find buying on line, and it does bother me. As many of you touched on. Is the fit of the rifle to the shoulder. For instance, when I purchased my Genesis I had never held one, never shouldered one, etc.. So I had to take it in kind of good faith that it would work out of me. That is the one disadvantage of buying on line.
Exactly!

I bought the Great Plains Rifle online pretty much from its reputation on this board. It is a fine rifle. However for me the balance feels way off, very front heavy. If I had the chance to shoulder the rifle in a store I probably would not have purchased it in all honesty.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Dutch
This is a good topic.

For me I look for quality and craftsmanship. I also consider made in America to be a big plus. I also look for veratility. Price is always important, but I am buying a lot less these days because I already have more than I need. Frankly I have been thinking of thinning the ML herd at my house these days. I have to admit that the NULA is very attractive to me these days.
No concern if the gun fits you?
Old 12-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Underclocked
Corey, that new Accura Mountain Rifle should fit you very well.
they are not going to be putting them in 45cal, wish they did, with some of the places I hunt.

I have shoulder an number of v1 and v2 accura's. they felt good to me. both th and reg. stocks.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got to admit I have never went looking for any kind of gun that I didn't know what I was going for in the first place. I have never went looking for a gun only to buy a certain kind.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SJAdventures
Got to admit I have never went looking for any kind of gun that I didn't know what I was going for in the first place. I have never went looking for a gun only to buy a certain kind.
i am kinda confused on the statement. maybe I am just tired.

I went into gunshops and handled and shoulder guns. I have 2 muzzleloaders follow me home at once before. lol
Old 12-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just never have walked out of a gun shop with a gun that I did not go there intentionally to buy. When I go gun shopping it is to buy a certain gun only not to see what I want. I already knew what I was buying before I left the house. Too many friends with guns that I get to shoulder and see how I like them before I get to the buying stage.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

First and foremost is does it feel good when shouldered. Next is the trigger. Can I live with it? Next and what I think a lot of guys fail to consider is loadability. Not so much the muzzle end but the ignition system. How easy is it to get a primer/cap on? Can you do it with glove on? How about with a scope AND gloves? And how about getting that spent primer/cap off?
I think when it comes to inlines that is the reason I would prefer a break open design over a bolt.