Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Accura Mountain Rifle!!

Old 12-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Just came back from the range. My 8 1/2 lb .270 is as steady as a rock.

The target was shot using the X7 which weighs 6#. Range was 271 yard. As i have mentioned before, i carrry a muzzle loader when hunting in our rifle season. My physical limitations make it far easier to pack a light rifle whilst hunting off my hind legs, than a heavy rifle.

Spending time and money at a gym would be bad for my joints, and my wallet. Spending time at the range, learning how to shoot my X7, pays off in meat. Packing the 'light' X7 allows me to enjoy all the aspects of hunting i.e. the being there, the smells, the sights, the sneak, the 'walk', the weather etc.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I understand Ron. We all have limitations when we get older. I have a real recoil problem, and a CF is easier to control for me. I don't have a problem carrying a heavier gun. As a still hunter I have to take a lot of fast shots offhand. The heavier gun helps that. Plus it helps recoil.

You know how much I enjoy the hunt if you've read any of my posts. The hunt is everything to me. The kill is just a bonus.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Banned

it all depends on the style of rifle. Some styles feel better in lighter or heavier weights. Like the cva mountain rifle and the lyman great plains. Those 2 are heavy but feel perfect when i shoulder them.

The lyman trade right is lighter in weight and balances perfect for me as well.

Just have to learn how to shoot them all i suppose.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Learning to shoot has nothing to do with it. A light gun will always be harder to hold steady than a heavier gun offhand, or from a rest.

Look at target and varmint guns.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:27 AM
Typical Buck

I disagree.
Some varmint guns need a bipod to provide a steady rest for firing them. And true long range target muzzle loaders are often fired from a bench rest, cross sticks or prone during competition.
I think how well a person can fire any particular rifle depends on how well it fits them as well as the weight.
Some weaker folks may need a lighter rifle in order to hold and fire it better such as adults of smaller stature, ladies, teenagers, hunters who are exerting themselves at higher elevation in the mountains for long periods of time or where it's extremely hot and/or humid.
Let's not assume that heavier guns are the best weight for everyone since some guns are simply too heavy for smaller people to hold while a lighter gun is just right.
After all, it's named a mountain rifle for a reason.

Last edited by arcticap; 12-22-2011 at 05:42 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think muley hunter made a broad statement which I happen to believe is correct. Then articap disagrees because he says there are other considerations - which is also correct. I don't see a difference of opinion, just a consideration of additional parameters that might impact real world results.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Right or wrong, my opinion is the craftsman in the USA gets a bigger piece of the pie, than the craftsman in Spain. This is the reason i cannot with clear conscience, purchase a Rifle made in Spain for the same price or more, as a rifle made in USA. Of course my opinion is colored by the fact that i myself worked with tools manipulated by my hands, and this is how i fed my family, and my pension.
Im sure all of the stuff in your house is Made in America Only...I for one find that Value and Price is first on my list. If I can buy something made outside the USA that gives me more money to spend locally to support our Economy here, I get to spread the cash around a little better.
Now I personally would rather spend my money and have it go to Spain then to China. I was looking over some of the products that I have that are from TC, you'd think that good ol American TC would have all there products made in the USA right, wrong. I wonder how many other parts in there MLers or anything else TC makes comes from China also. They might be assembled in the USA but are they all American Made, I doubt it.
Look at some of the clothes you wear, hunting and non hunting, are they all American Made, nope, are all the pieces that make up your car or truck all made in America, nope. I'll bet that the majority of all the stuff in all of our Homes is made outside the USA. yet you trash anyone who buys a MLer that is made in Spain.
Our Econmy is'nt just based on what's made in the USA, it's based on what's made all over the world, were all tied togeather and rely on each other to keep things moving.
Sure I wish everything was made in America but it's just never going to happen.
Attached Thumbnails Accura Mountain Rifle!!-dsc00598.jpg   Accura Mountain Rifle!!-dsc00599.jpg   Accura Mountain Rifle!!-dsc00600.jpg   Accura Mountain Rifle!!-dsc00601.jpg  
Old 12-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

For one I love my (u-view powder measurer) it works great, but shoot it's made in China, how many of you buy only American guys out there use the TC u-view?
I buy what works, My CVA ACCURA from Spain is a well made sweet shooting MLer, if you have'nt tried one done mock it.
Also I know when I call CVA I get instant satisfaction, do you get that when you call TC, I bet they dont even answer there phone or when you send an e-mail it never gets answered. Just saying.................
Old 12-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Im sure all of the stuff in your house is Made in America Only................................yet you trash anyone who buys a MLer that is made in Spain.
You're kidding right? In front of me right now is keyboard, monitor, clock, telephone, scanner, printer, glasses, watch, camera, gps, battery, charger, CVA breech plug, desk chair, router..............non of which is made in USA. There is a Case knife, Williams peep sight, TC breech plug, antique table, antique tape holder, Knight breech plug, Benchmade knife, old stapler, all made in the USA.

There are 3 Accura here. This new CVA rifle will probably cost a lot more than i paid for any of these rifle here, the craftsman will probably not get more of that money, than he/she earned making these old CVA rifle. That is what i wrote, that was my point, and that is what i believe.

As you wrote, it is a world economy; we really have no choice, but to accept it.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
You're kidding right? In front of me right now is keyboard, monitor, clock, telephone, scanner, printer, glasses, watch, camera, gps, battery, charger, CVA breech plug, desk chair, router..............non of which is made in USA. There is a Case knife, Williams peep sight, TC breech plug, antique table, antique tape holder, Knight breech plug, Benchmade knife, old stapler, all made in the USA.

There are 3 Accura here. This new CVA rifle will probably cost a lot more than i paid for any of these rifle here, the craftsman will probably not get more of that money, than he/she earned making these old CVA rifle. That is what i wrote, that was my point, and that is what i believe.

As you wrote, it is a world economy; we really have no choice, but to accept it.
Gotcha.....you cleared it up a little better in this post. I did'nt mean the comments above to go directly yo you, it was for the others who keep trashing CVA's and think they only buy all American Made stuff.
I know your a CVA shooter like me.
(BP)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.