Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The 250g Deep Curl

Old 12-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The 250g Deep Curl

This morning 5 one gallon milk jugs, and a green tea jug were set out at 45 feet. The remaining 250 Deep Curl pushed by 105g of BH209 ended up in the bottom of the second milk jug. A piece was found in the first jug; another in front of the first jug. The weight of the pieces remaining is 93.5g.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Spike

Kinda surprised that it didn't go further.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Banned

that sucks
Old 12-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Other than all copper or brass bullets (or partitions) that's pretty much what I would expect of any big hollow point shot at high velocity into water at 15 yards. Remember, these things are designed for .45 Colt velocities. It would be interesting to repeat the experiment with a 250 XTP, and a 300 DC & 300 XTP.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
.....................pretty much what I would expect...............repeat the experiment with a 250 XTP, and a 300 DC & 300 XTP.
Yes, i wasn't surprised at how this bullet performed. However, what happened to the 270g bullet did surprise me.

We need more and more jugs, and perhaps warm weather.

Right or wrong, i am inclined to believe the 19 degree temperature during this test changed the results compared to what they would have been in warmer conditions. Another problem with these cold mornings is getting my hands wet, and handling cold cold tripods, picking up the debris, and putting things away makes my fingers hurt.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

You must have a long season with no limits on water jugs?