Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Glasbed Knight Disc Extreme 50

Old 12-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Glasbed Knight Disc Extreme 50

This rifle was purchased from Chet in September. It has never shot very good. Seems i have put around 170 shots through it. The bolt has been switched with the Elite. The nfpj adapter and breech plug were installed. The W209 primer fit perfect, and there is zero blow by. The brazed vent liner was removed and replaced at 108 shot with a Holo-Krome screw. The stock barrel channel was shimmed at one time without success. The stock barrel channel was sanded larger, free floating the barrel, with little success. Last week i took a day off hunting, and shot this rifle at paper. How it shot was disgusting, so i took it home, and glass bedded it.

Today it seemed the glasbed had cured long enough, so i went up and shot it. The first target was shot at 100 yard using 105g of BH209, 300g Deep Curl, short Harvester sabot, and W209 primer. Aim was the middle target. After seeing where the first shot hit, i moved out to 198 yard, and shot 3 shots. 105g of powder isn't enough to work with the cds dial the way it is engraved, and them 3 shot hit a way low.

The holes dyed green i shot with the Accura, which appears to be worn out, after all the shooting it has done the past 2 years testing breech plug. Aim was the top target.

After i took the photo, i went back out to 200 yard, and shot 5 more times. Them shots were all over the place. Then i decided to try some long range shooting at about 270 yard, but i couldn't drive in, because the government has now closed the road i had driven last fall, and summer. So i came back and shot the Knight some more, but switched the load to 120g BH209.

The 120g load worked more better with the marks on the CDS dial. Aim was the middle target for shot 10-20. Aim was the bottom target for shot 21. Shot 10-20 were at 199 yard with the cds dial set on 2; shot 21 was at 100 yard, with the cds dial set at 1. Just before i finished shooting, the breeze increased. Temperature during the shoot was 28 degree to 35 degree. Elevation was about 4700' At home removing the breech plug revealed the flame channel was 1/8". Carbon accounting for the difference between 5/32" and 1/8". The flash hole in the Holo-Krome screw has increased from 0.028" to 0.029" from 61 shots.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Banned

send that old worn out accura to me. Let these hands work their magic
Old 12-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

What is that old saying? Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. No, i don't think that will come to pass.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well if you think its worn a bit use a thicker petal sabot. I have cut 1 inch off the barrel of many guns that would no longer shoot good and had them come right back. I think that the button can get worm off center at least that is my theory.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:56 AM
Banned

no one ever takes me up on my offer
Old 12-07-2011, 12:01 PM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-27-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:07 PM
mountaineer magic

deleted : no longer want to be on the forum

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 01-27-2012 at 07:42 AM.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mountaineer magic
I did
LOL very true. Im outside sweatin my butt off shooting round balls out of her too.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Well if you think its worn a bit use a thicker petal sabot. I have cut 1 inch off the barrel of many guns that would no longer shoot good and had them come right back. I think that the button can get worm off center at least that is my theory.
What i am noticing in the Accura is when i push the bullet/sabot down the barrel it feels just right. However, just about 4 or 5 inches above the powder, the bullet/sabot all of a sudden seems to get very very loose, and virtually falls onto the powder. Right or wrong, i attribute this to erosion of the barrel by burnt powder, and heat. I am inclined to think Bergara barrel might be soft, but don't really have enough information to make a conclusive statement.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
no one ever takes me up on my offer
What is that old saying? Once burnt, twice shy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.