Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

PRB question-

Old 12-05-2011, 04:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 3seasons
As soon as I can get them up, I have a couple photos of experimental shots I took & reason for the query.

MuleyHunter-that's one thing I wonder, if the point must hit first upon impact to provide expansion or not.

The deer I myself have taken w/ PRB have had entry & exit wounds not much larger than either .54 or .50 at distances of 75 yds+. I recall that my first ever had the entry between two ribs, through the heart about 1/3 way up, and exited between two ribs as well. .54 sized hole all the way through, I ate the heart as always.
The oddest thing about that deer was that after the shot he didn't run but sort of trotted not for the wood line but straight down the middle of the field,stumbled at the top of a little rise and landed on his back w/ antlers stuck in the soft ground- almost 90 yds,iirc.
A PRB expands so easily. I'm sure you couldn't get a pass through without expansion.

What were you using for balls?
Old 12-05-2011, 06:27 AM
Typical Buck

Question

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
A PRB expands so easily. I'm sure you couldn't get a pass through without expansion.

What were you using for balls?
+1

And now let's hear the rest of the story.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

MH- At that point I was using Speer round balls. In that first buck entry & exit, as well as hole through heart were the same size I imagine because it never struck bone at all. If I can find my camera USB connector I'll put up photos of why I ask.

Woodtick, though I was not initially going to respond I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here & just say I don't understand your question. I gave the whole "story".
Old 12-05-2011, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

How did the wound channel look? It sounded like the ball did it's job. You know how deer are with lung shots. It kills them, but they still seem run even though they're dead.

You didn't hit any bone, so the ball won't expand as much, but it got the job done. A .54 ball has some power. I killed a cow elk this year with the same ball. It didn't pass through, but it was close. It didn't hit any bone either and she ran 100yds.

I wouldn't worry. Just keep killing with that ball. It won't let you down.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

How would you get the hollow point to hit first with a round ball?
Well if you were really set on a hollow point you would have to use a mini ball. But that is not a patched round ball so probably a moot point.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

Red face

Originally Posted by 3seasons
MH- At that point I was using Speer round balls. In that first buck entry & exit, as well as hole through heart were the same size I imagine because it never struck bone at all. If I can find my camera USB connector I'll put up photos of why I ask.

Woodtick, though I was not initially going to respond I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here & just say I don't understand your question. I gave the whole "story".
I was thinking you might of had some hardened homemade roundball.I just thought it should
flatten out more.Sorry I was not clear.congrats on the kill.