Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Got A Buck This Evening

Old 12-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Got A Buck This Evening

Went to to our place in Garvin county today. The weather was very nice: About 62 degrees with no wind. Filled the feeder and sat in a tower stand overlooking a heavily used deer trail and some game plots. A really big buck has been using that trail.

For the past three years there has been a 160-170 class buck hanging out on that place. He is most likely an offspring of the 186 score buck that was killed there with a bow in 2004. For the past two years he has had two long drop times like the buck that was killed in 2004.

That is one smart deer; when he hears the first gun crack he goes nocturnal. Have seen him a few times sneaking into his thicket very early in the morning.

Some does came into the game plots along with a four point buck. A hog came into a game plot about 200 yards away; out of my league. At about 17:30 a buck came sneaking down the trail that goes through a small erosion gully. He was not the big one but the weather is turning bad tonight and deer season closes on Sunday. Decided to tag out on bucks with this guy.

The deer went down like a rock at the shot, jumped up and ran about 80 yards before stumbling and falling, he kicked for a few seconds and expired. The bullet hit behind the diaphragm and nothing in the chest was damaged. The deer bled to death internally, the stomach cavity was full of blood. Must have hit the big blood vessel under the spine. The bullet did not exit.

This is a great way to lose a deer. When the spine is not damaged; most deer that are hit like this drop, jump up, take off and are never found.

Distance: 80-95 yards walking broadside
Gun: CVA StagHorn
Scope: Weaver Grand Slam 3X10 set on 4X
Bullet: 240 grain .430 XTP in crush rib sabot
Powder: 100 grains of 3F Goex Pinnacle
Primer: Winchester shotgun

Old 12-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats thats a nice size deer,good shot
Old 12-02-2011, 01:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nick Buck and Congrat's! Yea I dont blame you, with Your Season that close to an end anything could happen, usually it's Deer Tag Soup. There's 10 Days left to our Season as of Today, when the Ten Day Mark hits I start to Lower My Standards on what I will take for a Buck, nothing less than a Nice 8pt for Me. Our Weather has been Exceptionally Warm, Windy and Rainy with more to come and with No Snow Predicted anytime soon getting a Nice 8pt may be a Chore.
The Shot on Your Deer from the Pic Did'nt look all that Bad, mabey a little to the Left but Not a Gut Shot, and I also dont see any Damage to the Spine, the Shot looks to Low for that? If anything it looks like a High Lung Liver Shot, but sometimes the Picture does'nt show the whole story, either way it's a Nice Happy End to Your Season!
(BP)
Old 12-02-2011, 04:13 AM
Fork Horn

Nice Floyd very nice
Old 12-02-2011, 04:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Very nice. Congrats. He looks like he has some age on him judging by the mass on his rack. But in either event, he's not getting any older.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, nice buck.

Show us the bullet once you get it out!
Old 12-02-2011, 05:28 AM
Fork Horn

I don't like him; he's sticking his tongue out

Glad it worked out for you and congrats
Old 12-02-2011, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, that shot sure doesn't look like it is behind the diaphragm. Good deal you took him home with you.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

The photo is deceiving: Maybe because of the way the deer is lying. The liver and lungs were not hit.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

Nice job, congrats!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.