Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lots of guests

Old 12-02-2011, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't really trust how many guests it says are on here...To many changes on this forum the past few years...I've also noticed there are a lot of posters with just a couple of post asking silly questions...This could be an attempt for the forum to get more hits for their advertisers...

I very seldom post what I kill on the internet, first I'm usually too busy getting the deer out and cleaned to take time for a picture...Second I just never did that growing up...I hunt for meat, not antlers...

Usually it's best to keep a low profile so you don't draw attention...
Old 12-02-2011, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

This will bring some hate in my direction.

If I shot a deer like that. I'd take the meat like I always do, and the antlers would stay where I shot it.

I keep saying.......... it's the hunt that's important. Hanging dead heads on the wall is silly.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

You can believe this or not, I am a meat hunter first and have always been. I keep the antlers as a reminder to help with memories and the success of a well planned and executed hunt. It also allows me to relive evewry minute of the hunt, when someone says " Wow, you have a nice collection of heads. How about the story on this one" Certain ones mean more to me than others, like the few that was taken while learning to hunt with my dad and grandfather. They are priceless and so are the memories.

This one was taken in November 1999 during the rut, chasing a doe and never took his nose from her rump. he was in love. I had been watching him for 4 years, he was 2 the first time I saw him. He was an impressive two year old. I had several shot oppurtunities in those 4 years, I almost took him the year before in archery season and decided to give him one more year. Glad I did he must have put on 30-40" from his 5 to 6th. year. I put him down with a remington 1100 12 ga. at 40yrds, the end of a 4 year hunt.

I have found not many can say they have watched and hunted a certain buck for 4 years and that is what makes this one, special to me.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree to a point. Memories are all an old fart like me has. I can remember all my hunts since the 50's.

However, I don't need to look at a head to remember them.

I grew up in a Christian home. My dad taught me to enjoy the hunt, and the goal was to feed myself and others. That's why animals were put on this earth. To feed us.

The trophy is the hunt itself, and enjoying the meat. In my eyes, the head on the wall is just bragging. Unless...........you were the only one to ever see it. Which is never the case. I've left some good looking racks on the ground over the years. I've never regretted it.

I'm just being honest with how I feel. I don't expect very many to agree with me.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:36 AM
Banned

no they wouldnt muley, i'd be packing them out with a smile on my face